Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could it ever work with me and this guy or is it inappropriate? Watch

I am a PGCE student, and am about to turn 25. I'm teaching a year 13 class, and next week is the final week of my PGCE.. There are only 2 in the class, and the guy (who's 18) is absolutely gorgeous.

I have had a crush on him the first lesson ,but obviously knew that I was not allowed to do anything due to the position I was in.

He's going to leave next month after his exams, and I'll have left by then too. I really like him; over the lessons I've got to know him and find him very polite, funny, and quick-witted.

A coursemate came to observe my class with him and said there was an obvious attraction between us, and how both of us were bright red, etc.

I'd like something to happen, but I have no idea whether it'd be allowed to happen even once both of us have left the school. Would this be considered inappropriate?

Also, I have no idea how i'd go about it. I could give him my email address, but there's no guarantee he'd ever message me :s

ReputationRep:
    "Teacher x Student" shipping stories always end with one or the other in jail. So let go of it before that happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am a PGCE student, and am about to turn 25. I'm teaching a year 13 class, and next week is the final week of my PGCE.. There are only 2 in the class, and the guy (who's 18) is absolutely gorgeous.

I have had a crush on him the first lesson ,but obviously knew that I was not allowed to do anything due to the position I was in.

He's going to leave next month after his exams, and I'll have left by then too. I really like him; over the lessons I've got to know him and find him very polite, funny, and quick-witted.

A coursemate came to observe my class with him and said there was an obvious attraction between us, and how both of us were bright red, etc.

I'd like something to happen, but I have no idea whether it'd be allowed to happen even once both of us have left the school. Would this be considered inappropriate?

Also, I have no idea how i'd go about it. I could give him my email address, but there's no guarantee he'd ever message me :s
    I don't think you should go on with it, as it will ruin your repetition regardless of the attraction and chemistry. Obviously feelings can't go away, but just try and be professional. And, I know of similar stories and , the only time they got away with it was during the end of their time in the school and both were leaving.

But, my point is, don't do anything that will ruin your reputation.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else click on these threads just in case it's one of your female friends?

Thanks for the replies I thought it would be ok as long as I didn't pursue anything at all until both of us had left the school, but do you think that even then it's still a no-go zone?

ReputationRep:
    he'll be an adult and you be teaching at another school with no power over him, so it should be okay.

But i don't really know how you'd go about it after he leaves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the replies I thought it would be ok as long as I didn't pursue anything at all until both of us had left the school, but do you think that even then it's still a no-go zone?
    Um, give him 5 more years if you must.

ReputationRep:
    if you applied for teaching posts and they saw that your partner was a former pupil that would not be viewed as a positive.

Yeah, I'm definitely not applying at the school he went to, in any case. Yeah I've already found him on fb, but I can't add him ha that'd be too creepy I guess... suppose there's not much I can do!

ReputationRep:
    While I understand why you're asking, there have been plenty, I mean plenty of instances in the news where teachers have 'waited' until their student graduates or they themselves leave before starting a relationship and they still get into trouble when the school eventually finds out. And they find out, they always do. They won't see any difference between you dating whilst teaching him or you having waited because at the end of the day, you were his teacher. And there would be no way for you to ever prove that your relationship 'only' begun after you left. If you value your reputation and future career, don't take the risk.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it would be a problem once you've both left the school and you're no longer in a position of authority over him. He's an adult, it's up to him whether or not he'd be interested in pursuing something with you, but to tell you the truth it is far from likely.

You're very infatuated with him and have probably built some fantasy in your head about you two riding into the sunset and living happily ever after, but the truth is that while he might fancy you, there are probably many other girls he fancies too. Being attracted to someone is very different from actually wanting to be in a relationship with them. You make up a very small part of his life, someone he only sees for a few hours per week.

At the end of the day, he may be going off to uni in september and is most likely going to forget about you as soon as he leaves. He's going to be more interested in the girls his age, he may not even be single at the moment. Even if you exchange emails and make plans to keep in contact, he'll be meeting other people and getting on with his own life, especially if he ends of in a different city. Fact of the matter is that you're both at completely different stages in life and you're better off just getting over the infatuation and looking for guys who are at a more similar stage in their life to yours.

ReputationRep:
    Inappropriate, you're in a position of trust and rest assured of you get involved, no other school will take you knowing you might start a relationship with one of the students

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.