Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've recently took a job as support staff in an academies Sixth form.
    I'm loving it, as well as spread sheets, notices ect. I also get to do pastoral support /covering study sessions and registrations and am supporting some students in their UCAS applications.

The best part I love is the researching and producing the class work which helps them gather info for their UCAS applications, and got to co-present the lesson this week, which was brilliant. I always answer any questions they have from time to time when they pop in. (now they're getting more comfortable with me that is)

The only issue is I'm now torn! The school I work at is also a teachers training centre, which means from Sept 2017 I can start to train as a teacher. I want to teach English and Media. And today, I got to help one of my students with his Media coursework, which brought my passion flooding back - as I've worked in the media industry and also studied it. I felt really good after helping him.

But Ive also looked into taking a masters part time at my local University in Careers Advisor because i also love helping people get on the right path. I've been helping friends out for years with this kind of stuff, writing CV's and cover letters for them, finding them different routes into different paths and now I'm also doing that for my students (well starting too)

So not to ramble on more, but I'm so torn on what to choose. I can start the masters alongside my job from October this year, and be qualified in 2018. Or i can train in teaching and be qualified by 2018.

Does any recommend which one is the better career path to choose?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need a master's degree in careers advising? That just sounds like a very expensive way of being able to carry on doing what it seems like you're already doing perfectly well now without it.

As for whether to pursue teaching, the opportunity won't even be open to you until 2017 - so stick with careers advising for another year and see how you feel about it then. Equally, depending on how much of an early adopter you are, you may wish to see how effective a training centre your school is before starting to train with them: in their first year there are bound to be teething problems. Perhaps wait and see until some other people have trained with them, so that you have more information upon which to base your decision? It all seems very putative so far and life has a habit of choosing for you

ReputationRep:
    When you teach, you advise and help them with their futures and your current experience in pastoral and advising roles would be invaluable. Being passionate about a subject also helps!

I would choose teaching in your position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findlay6)
    When you teach, you advise and help them with their futures and your current experience in pastoral and advising roles would be invaluable. Being passionate about a subject also helps!

I would choose teaching in your position.
    This is what I was thinking to be honest.
    I need to get more experience in the class room though and as my role is office based I'm lacking that fundamental experience for the teachers training course. My boss did say on Friday he'd be happy to help me get any experience I needed so maybe I'll ask about that and make a decision from there

You need do a post-graduate course for career advising too as you have to be certified. Of course I'm basically doing that now - as I'm starting to make some CV writing materials too for next week, but you can't actually get a job role in it unless you do this PG course. (Similar to teachers training really)

There seems to be a lot more jobs available in teaching too? And more progression in salary and positions?

ReputationRep:
    It's great that you have a supportive boss. Take advantage!

I don't think you'd struggle too much with English jobs, but Media is quite scarce. Have a look on TES job to see what's available currently. If you were starting this September, this time next year (or earlier) you'd be applying for your NQT post.

Salary is based on performance. If you meet your targets, you go up a pay scale - you start on MPS 1 - NASUWT have a good pdf. of the pay scales.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.