Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm just about to go in to my second year of college and I have to start thinking of what courses to apply for. I was just a bit confused, if I took Chemical Engineering could I apply for a position as a petroleum engineer or would I have to do a degree in Petroleum Engineering?

Are chemical engineers or petroleum engineers in high demand at the moment or in the future? I just want to know that there's a high chance I'll get a job after uni.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You certainly don't need an undergraduate degree in Petroleum Engineering to work in the oil industry. You might need to do a MSc in Petroleum Engineering to get the best jobs though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    You certainly don't need an undergraduate degree in Petroleum Engineering to work in the oil industry. You might need to do a MSc in Petroleum Engineering to get the best jobs though.
    waiiiittttttt.

so youre basically saying, bachelors in chem eng; then masters in petroleum eng?

would that work?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by theDanIdentity)
    waiiiittttttt.

so youre basically saying, bachelors in chem eng; then masters in petroleum eng?

would that work?
    Of course, loads of people do it. Do some LinkedIn stalking if you don't believe me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Petroleum engineering as a degree is only relevant to a small amount of the engineering jobs in the oil industry. The vast majority of engineers employed by oil companies, the services companies, contractors, consultants, verification bodies etc. do not have such degrees and would not find it relevant for their jobs.

Given the above, and also how competitive the jobs that are actually looking for a degree in petroleum engineering are, I tend to advise people to study a broader, traditional engineering discipline to at least BEng level first, as it keeps your options open, in both the oil industry and other industries. I think this is especially important at the moment considering the difficulty the oil industry has been in the past year and a half, with the amount of redundancies that have unfortunately occurred. No-one knows where things will be in the future, and what you want to do might also change in the future, too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, you've helped a lot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.