Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What does the answer to this age old question imply as per our free will?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-our-thoughts/

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    probably not. to be in control of your own thoughts would seem to imply you were somehow thinking your thoughts before thinking them.

a naive understanding of free will (i.e. for an individual to be the ultimate cause of anything they do) is trivially nonsense

ReputationRep:
    The very concept of free will is flawed, it has had to be redefined to be something most would not consider to be an accurate description of what it inplies.

ReputationRep:
    No because if we were then how would you explain intrusive thoughts....

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I can't control my sexual preferences and whether I like people or not, and occasionally get intrusive thoughts whenever I have a steak knife I'm gonna go with no...

(Original post by Implication)
    probably not. to be in control of your own thoughts would seem to imply you were somehow thinking your thoughts before thinking them.
    This.

To be literal, if we were controlling our thoughts, it would infer we were making a conscious decision to have them which, of course, wouldn't be possible because you'd have to think in order to make that decision.

If we controlled our own thoughts, no one would have ever uttered the words, "I wish I could stop thinking about that." They simply wouldn't have thought it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    This is God speaking. HI

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.