Is Nigeria a safe country to visit for a female ?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So one of my flatmates who is a international student from Nigeria has invited all of us(4 girls and 2 guys) to his home country over the Summer.

He says he can get us free tickets because his dad works for the government.

I would love a free holiday and apparently he lives near the beach and has a swimming pool.

I dont know if its safe ?
M14B
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So one of my flatmates who is a international student from Nigeria has invited all of us(4 girls and 2 guys) to his home country over the Summer.

I would love a free holiday and apparently he lives near the beach and has a swimming pool.

Sounds safe.
How well do you know that guy?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by M14B)
Sounds safe.
How well do you know that guy?
Pretty well, we live in the same student accommodation flat and have hung out pretty regularly as a group since October.

He lives in Lagos city, which I believe is a more stable part of the country.
M14B
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pretty well, we live in the same student accommodation flat and have hung out pretty regularly as a group since October.

He lives in Lagos city, which I believe is a more stable part of the country.
I would ask my parents for advice
BlueSam3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As always, don't ask random people on the internet, ask the branch of government responsible for this. Summary: it depends where. Lagos is in one of the safer areas, but the whole country has a high threat of terrorism, especially in major towns/cities on public holidays, violent crime is common, as is kidnapping, high risk of water born disease and flooding from June to October. Basically: be careful.
SmileyVibe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah. It depends on the city and village.
teenhorrorstory
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah. I was there last summer and it's fine. I really enjoyed myself! Obviously you have to be cautious as thieves are very skilled there lol. But the people are great to interact with, and the weather is amazing. You'll be in Lagos so you don't really have to worry about terrorist threats from Boko Haram.
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
If i was going i will be scared because of what i have been hearing however, i have not been there so my opinion is biased.
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

The FCO website is a good place to start as mentioned in a previous post.
I'd add a few bits to that:
Try to stay in at least a pair when out & about
Ensure you've got a mobile which will work in the area with ICE contacts & emergency services' numbers installed
Have some kind of plan in the back of your mind should you need assistance (UK Embassy location etc)
Keep valuables secure wherever possible
I know from what an ex-GF was telling me about Egypt that the locals will be less likely to "chat" to you if you've got a fake (or real) wedding ring on. I've got no idea if this is the case in Nigeria but it's something worth thinking about if you don't want to be bothered.
Does Nigeria have mosquito transmitted diseases like Malaria/Yellow Fever & other potential infections? If so then you should ensure you've had the correct jabs & have a supply of drugs to counteract any diseases.

All of the above is fairly relevant to most places around the world & not specific to Nigeria. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
tayoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm from nigeria... Its safe trust me
ask him which estate he lives in
username2538449
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wouldn't recommend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ServantOfMorgoth
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by elisabeth1)
Wouldn't recommend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Travelling to a fantastically corrupt third world country at the expense of your friends corrupt dad. What could possibly go wrong?

You cant put a price on your own safety, find the £400 and go somewhere none thirdworld
ServantOfMorgoth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
Travelling to a fantastically corrupt third world country at the expense of your friends corrupt dad. What could possibly go wrong?

You cant put a price on your own safety, find the £400 and go somewhere none thirdworld
How do you know that they're not complimentary tickets? Get off your high horse because people vacation to third world countries all the time and return home fine.
banterboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it's safe just so long as you like big black cocks
username2538449
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
Why not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Besides all safety issues I wouldn't want to worry about anything during a holiday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How do you know that they're not complimentary tickets? Get off your high horse because people vacation to third world countries all the time and return home fine.
Im on a high horse for advising someone not go to a third world corrupt nation?
People try and commit suicide all the time and are fine, maybe attempting suicide is fine

LeL k
ServantOfMorgoth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im on a high horse for advising someone not go to a third world corrupt nation?
People try and commit suicide all the time and are fine, maybe attempting suicide is fine

LeL k
After browsing your profile, I'm not even going to bother with you because you're clearly highly prejudiced.
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
After browsing your profile, I'm not even going to bother with you because you're clearly highly prejudiced.
Thats right run away to your irrational little sandpit of ignorance and censored ideas where the world is rainbows and unicorns and everyone who doesnt agree with you is wacist and bigoted and eats small children. Meanwhile us adults will discuss things and express views and opinions.

Good boy
ServantOfMorgoth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thats right run away to your irrational little sandpit of ignorance and censored ideas where the world is rainbows and unicorns and everyone who doesnt agree with you is wacist and bigoted and eats small children. Meanwhile us adults will discuss things and express views and opinions.

Good boy
Right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads