Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello, basically after the exams I plan to start really getting into reading as all my life I've never really read at all and I think it's so important that I start to read for all the countless benefits it produces etc so I was just wondering if you do read. Any books you gave in mind which are definitely worth it! Need to start of with more primitive books I think and then slowly work up to those of higher academic stadnard. I prefer non-fiction may sound dull. But not to me I want to read and learn at the same time, but a bit of fiction won't hurt at all as long as it is not the extreme of Harry Potter, Lord of the rings or games of thrones etc.
    (I have in mind so far to read 1984 by George Orwell)

Thank you

Also, this may sound like a silly question but do you suggest hardback or paperback books?

ReputationRep:
    To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

ReputationRep:
    I guess the usual books to recommend are 1984, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby etc...

But I'll just recommend you the books I've personally enjoyed:

- Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson: the story of two orphaned sisters who are looked after by their scatterbrain, careless, wild aunt and how differently the two react to her (bad explanation. beautiful book)
    - The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath: I think it's Plath's only novel - a very beautiful book which is, I suppose, about the breakdown of a very talented and successful woman and how she is viewed by the world
    - Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson: a semi-autobiographical, splendidly written account of a young lesbian girl who comes from and struggles in a very religious society
    - The Virgin Suicides by Jeffery Eugenides: the lives and deaths of a group of five sisters, as told from the point of view of the boys who've been secretky worshiping them all their lives
    - Never Let Me Go by Kazou Ishiguro: technically sci-fi but you never really think of it that way, it's the story of children who attend a wonderful boarding school and await the day they will donate all their vital organs
    - We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson: two sisters, one has been accused of murdering the whole family, the other is desperate to protect their family and way of life from the nasty, blood-hunting locals
    - Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis: two gods make a bet about happiness and decide to grant consciousness to fifteen dogs who are staying overnight in a vetenary clinic
    - The Post Office Girl by Stefan Zweig: an extremely poor girl from war-ridden Austria is suddenly invited to stay in the luxurious company of her aunt and is amazed by the wonderful, rich way of life
    - I Am The Cheese by Robert Cormeir: A boy is riding his bike to a different state to deliver a parcel to his father. Why? We'll find out through poignant narration and mysterious tape transcripts

Just a few, but you might be interested in a couple.

(Original post by Aaron2515)
    Hello, basically after the exams I plan to start really getting into reading as all my life I've never really read at all and I think it's so important that I start to read for all the countless benefits it produces etc so I was just wondering if you do read. Any books you gave in mind which are definitely worth it! Need to start of with more primitive books I think and then slowly work up to those of higher academic stadnard. I prefer non-fiction may sound dull. But not to me I want to read and learn at the same time, but a bit of fiction won't hurt at all as long as it is not the extreme of Harry Potter, Lord of the rings or games of thrones etc.

Thank you
    A good cross between fiction and non fiction are books by JC. His views on various stuff are rather comical. There are loads of them.
    His latest one is "As I Was Saying" but they tend not to get out dated.

If you fancy something boring there is a book by Brian Cox. Wonders of the Universe/Wonders of the Solar System. Only cost me a few quid despite the RRP of £50. The reason this 2 in 1 book was so cheap is because it blabs on about Earth related stuff and how they relate to stuff on other planets etc. I purchased it thinkin it would have lots of nebulas and talk about 1000+mph winds of Neptune, but there is little of this.

A genuinely interesting book on the universe is Hubble legacy edition. It has loads of space photos and interesting information.

Guinness World records is alrite too. Ironic that Voyager 1 being the most distant man made object made it into this book.

Ripleys Believe It Or Not has some interesting and strange stuff.

Top Gear The Alternative Highway Code; small book but very funny. Not serious.

The Bible. Most interesting book I ever red (as in readed)

ReputationRep:
    The Nuremberg Interviews

The Hundred Year Old who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared

ReputationRep:
    I read Room (https://wordery.com/room-emma-donoghue-9780330519021) fairly recently and I really enjoyed it! It is fiction but it's based on a case in real life, so you could enjoy it! Also it's on discount at Wordery right now :-)
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.m.b)
    To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    The kite runner is amazing! And a thousand splendid suns plus my sister's keeper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    The kite runner is amazing! And a thousand splendid suns plus my sister's keeper
    Agreed. The kite runner and a thousand splendid suns are one of the few books which made me cry! And the mountains echoed is not very good in comparison. And i shall add that to my list!

ReputationRep:
    I reallu recommend reading JANE EYRE!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion if you want to read to learn, fiction books are actually much preferable over factual books. If you read an engineering or chemistry textbook you may be able to remember facts, figures, and statistics, but are you really learning anything? My first recommendation, Fahrenheit 451, sums it up pretty well (no spoilers)

Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs or the names of state capitals or how much corn Iowa grew last year. Cram them full of non-combustible data, chock them so damned full of ‘facts’ they feel stuffed, but absolutely ‘brilliant’ with information. Then they’ll feel they’re thinking, they’ll get a sense of motion without moving. And they’ll be happy, because facts of that sort don’t change. Don’t give them any slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy.

A few of my person "must reads" are:
    • Fahrenheit 451
    • Animal Farm
    • Brave New World
    • The Iron Heel
    • We
    Others that I recommend, but aren't necessarily for learning:
    • Lolita
    • The Road
    • The Illiad
    • The Remains of the Day
    • Never Let Me Go
    • Jane Eyre
    • Paradise Lost

ReputationRep:
    • Utopia
    • The Bible
    • War and Peace
    • Of Mice and Men
    • Fathers and Sons

ReputationRep:
    The Noughts and Crosses series - I found them very eye opening!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron2515)

Thank you

Also, this may sound like a silly question but do you suggest hardback or paperback books?
    All of the books by Mike Pannett are pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naomeyz_01)
    I reallu recommend reading JANE EYRE!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I read this in year 4 and since still feel uneasy in red rooms

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the karma sutra

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.