Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm quitting the job I've had whilst I've been in 6th form (17-19 as I retook a year) and have asked for my holiday pay as I have had absolutely nothing. I worked out I should have around £340 for 'casual or irregular' hours. However my boss has now said I'm not entitled to it because I'm in full time education and don't pay tax. I can't find much online about this and so before I ask anyone more professional I thought I'd ask to see if anyone on here has been in a similar situation. I used to get holiday pay when I worked at Butlins after year 11 for the summer however she said I wasn't entitled to that it was just because they were a large company they could afford it whereas this is a small local business and it's optional unless I'm not in school and work over 3 days a week. I'm 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverknow3)
    So I'm quitting the job I've had whilst I've been in 6th form (17-19 as I retook a year) and have asked for my holiday pay as I have had absolutely nothing. I worked out I should have around £340 for 'casual or irregular' hours. However my boss has now said I'm not entitled to it because I'm in full time education and don't pay tax. I can't find much online about this and so before I ask anyone more professional I thought I'd ask to see if anyone on here has been in a similar situation. I used to get holiday pay when I worked at Butlins after year 11 for the summer however she said I wasn't entitled to that it was just because they were a large company they could afford it whereas this is a small local business and it's optional unless I'm not in school and work over 3 days a week. I'm 18.
    Do you have a contract?
    If so, what does it say about holiday pay?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you are entitled to paid holidays. Your status in education or whether or not you are over the tax threshold is irrelevant.

There is a calculator on the. gov website which will tell you how much you're owed. If your workplace refuse, then consider taking them to an employment tribunal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Do you have a contract?
    If so, what does it say about holiday pay?
    No contract unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brightonlad89)
    Yes, you are entitled to paid holidays. Your status in education or whether or not you are over the tax threshold is irrelevant.

There is a calculator on the. gov website which will tell you how much you're owed. If your workplace refuse, then consider taking them to an employment tribunal.
    I used the calculator however boss insists that it doesn't count if I'm in full time education and says I have to work at least 3 days a week every week to be entitled to it. My mum is an accountant for an employment lawyer so she's going to ask him - just wish I could have it without all the effort!

ReputationRep:
    I used the calculator however boss insists that it doesn't count if I'm in full time education and says I have to work at least 3 days a week every week to be entitled to it. My mum is an accountant for an employment lawyer so she's going to ask him - just wish I could have it without all the effort!
    If you've worked there 2 years surely you've had holidays in the past. Were you ever paid for these?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Your employer is just trying to avoid paying you - you are entitled to some sort of holiday pay unless your current pay has a specific additional element calculated to compensate for not taking holidays (this happens sometimes for people working very few and/or irregular hours). Obviously you'd have to be earning above min wage if this was happening.

See http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4109
    You might prepare your evidence from the links on this page and show it to your employer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepingsunshine)
    If you've worked there 2 years surely you've had holidays in the past. Were you ever paid for these?
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    I'm a qualified Citizens Advice advisor, and can assure you that your manager is incorrect. For employment advice you can contact ACAS on 0300 323 1100.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.