Applying to lse econ with no further maths

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am considering applying to LSE but not sure if it will be a waste because i am not doing FM at a level, I am doing maths history physics and biology.. help??

ReputationRep:
    "A level Mathematics is required. Further Mathematics at A or AS level is a valuable indicator of potential for our highly quantitative degrees. However in Economics at LSE we expect it as a fourth subject only, and also welcome applicants with an essay-based A level such as History"

Actually you might need it for AS not the whole alevel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poppyrobbins)
    I am considering applying to LSE but not sure if it will be a waste because i am not doing FM at a level, I am doing maths history physics and biology.. help??
    From lse website, not needed, but definitely would help:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad..._BSc_Econ.aspx
    Programme requirement: A level Mathematics is required. Further Mathematics at A or AS level is a valuable indicator of potential for our highly quantitative degrees. However in Economics at LSE we expect it as a fourth subject only, and also welcome applicants with an essay-based A level such as HistoryA level Economics or equivalent is not currently required for any of our Department degrees and the first-year Economics course does not assume it at present. However more than 90 per cent of students entering LSE Economics Department degrees have done A level, Singapore Higher or International Baccalaureate Economics. The new syllabi beginning in 2015 for A level Economics, offered by various boards in consultation with university departments, can be particularly recommended as valuable. Note however that where a school only offers combined Economics and Business A level or no Economics at all, LSE will never discriminate against its candidates for our degrees No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media StudiesUsual standard offer: For students taking three A levels: grades A* A A with an A* in Mathematics. For students taking four or more A levels: grades A*A A plus a pass in a fourth A level, with an A* in Mathematics. Students taking Further Mathematics to AS level only will be required to achieve grade A

ReputationRep:
    How hard is getting into lse out of interest? My friends applied this year and got rejected within 5 days :-/

ReputationRep:
    You might want to drop one of your current subjects (biology imo) and take up AS Further Maths in year 13- would help massively. This is exactly what I did, and I'm pretty sure if I didn't I wouldn't have got an offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulucoco98)
    How hard is getting into lse out of interest? My friends applied this year and got rejected within 5 days :-/
    Most competitive uni in the UK

(Original post by anonwinner)
    Most competitive uni in the UK
    Nah Oxbridge is more competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmallman)
    You might want to drop one of your current subjects (biology imo) and take up AS Further Maths in year 13- would help massively. This is exactly what I did, and I'm pretty sure if I didn't I wouldn't have got an offer!
    Hi, this is what I plan on doing but wasn't 100% sure if it will help my application or not.
    Was your AS Further Maths grade part of your offer? Or did you just mention it in the personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aminoff)
    Hi, this is what I plan on doing but wasn't 100% sure if it will help my application or not.
    Was your AS Further Maths grade part of your offer? Or did you just mention it in the personal statement?
    My AS Further grade was part of my offer - I had to get an A in it.

Trust me, it will definitely help your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmallman)
    My AS Further grade was part of my offer - I had to get an A in it.

Trust me, it will definitely help your application.
    Thanks, did you get a predicted grade for AS Further Maths or was it just part of your PS/reference?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.