Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently planning on taking Mathematics, Physics and Economics as my A level choices. However, I am very ambitious and so want to be studying a maths related topic at a top university; either Economics and Management or Mathematics (Oxford or Bristol), or Computer Science and Mathematics(Oxford or Bristol).

I think if I am not to take Further Maths, although not explicitly required for even Mathematics and Computer science at Oxford, nonetheless I would probably be limiting myself to just be able to study Economics and Management.

I got a low A at maths GCSE, this would suggest that taking further maths would not be worth it, as I would ideally want at least an A. However, I'm not sure just how hard Further Maths would be for me. This is as I'm not sure of my innate mathematical capabilities, as although I only got a low A; I didn't work hard what so ever for that grade. E.g. I very rarely completed HW or listened in class, and I only started revising two weeks before the exams for GCSE and still managed to get an A.

I am very willing to put a lot of work in now for sixth form. How hard is further maths???

how much preparation between now and September would I need to do?

BTW, I am re doing year 12 starting in September, which is why this post seems premature as those starting sixth form in September would only now be doing GCSE exams. However, I am only re doing as, like in GCSE I put in no work, and, I'm not failing by any means, but I need to start again. Although it is mostly as this year I stupidly picked no Mathematics or Science which was insanely stupid of me.

Peace out bros. Help a homie out.

ReputationRep:
    It's not hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danjwp)
    I am currently planning on taking Mathematics, Physics and Economics as my A level choices. However, I am very ambitious and so want to be studying a maths related topic at a top university; either Economics and Management or Mathematics (Oxford or Bristol), or Computer Science and Mathematics(Oxford or Bristol).

I think if I am not to take Further Maths, although not explicitly required for even Mathematics and Computer science at Oxford, nonetheless I would probably be limiting myself to just be able to study Economics and Management.

I got a low A at maths GCSE, this would suggest that taking further maths would not be worth it, as I would ideally want at least an A. However, I'm not sure just how hard Further Maths would be for me. This is as I'm not sure of my innate mathematical capabilities, as although I only got a low A; I didn't work hard what so ever for that grade. E.g. I very rarely completed HW or listened in class, and I only started revising two weeks before the exams for GCSE and still managed to get an A.

I am very willing to put a lot of work in now for sixth form. How hard is further maths???

BTW, I am re doing year 12 starting in September, which is why this post seems premature as those starting sixth form in September would only now be doing GCSE exams. However, I am only re doing as, like in GCSE I put in no work, and, I'm not failing by any means, but I need to start again. Although it is mostly as this year I stupidly picked no Mathematics or Science which was insanely stupid of me.

Further Maths is all about working harder. Honestly, AS Further Maths is easier than A2 Maths (depending on the modules of course..) for the most part.

If you're willing to put in lots of work, then go for it.

If you want to prepare for further maths then I would say your best bet is starting on regular AS maths right now, start on C1 and C2. If you've done those then have a look at FP1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danjwp)

Hi im in year 11 do and have chosen to do maths, further maths, physics and biology. I did my maths GCSE in year 10 and got an A* nearly full mark. Throughout year 11 I have been doing GCSE further maths and to be honest the people who got A's in year 10 for their maths are struggling at GCSE further maths- can't imagine how it would be at a level. Even I, who is very talented at maths and various about a level further maths and think I may struggle. If I was you I wouldn't bother taking FM because you'd probably got get the A or A* required for a course at a university such as Oxford.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.