Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I was wondering if people could give me a rough idea of where to improve and if you could what sort of band/marks would this recieve? Thanks a lot!

10b. Explain how the UK's population structure has changed since 1900 as a result of social changes. (15)

Since the 1900s the UK's population has changed quite dramatically. For example, in the early 1900s, we had the setup of the NHS leading to increased health care and life expectancy, furthermore suffragettes fought for women's right to vote. This lead to the rise in equality between men and women, meaning that women now had more power in society and were able to be educated and work. This lead to decreased birth rates as women were educated about contraception etc. meaning that instead of roughly 3-4 babies per couple closing in on the 21st century we saw it fall to almost 2.5 per couple. This was further increasing also due to the decreased death rates and increasing life expectancy from about 55 to 72 in our country. This meant that we were seeing times of more older people particularly from the baby boom in the 50s and 60s, who were living longer and less children to replace them. This lead to us having more elderly dependents in our society and less economically active citizens contributing to taxes.

During the 60s and late 70s we saw a lot of post colonial migrants from places such as India and Jamaica moving to the UK, this was because we needed migrants to come into the UK to fill jobs which we simply didn't have, plus the pull factors in the UK ranged from better economy to better healthcare and better education, this was a win win situation. This lead to during these times an increase in our economically actives (18-65), but we still saw a fall in our Youth population as less babies were being born than before. This continued to happen, though birth rates did start to increase as more people migrated into the UK.

In the 1980s we saw the destruction of the "Iron Wall" which divided West Germany from East Germany. In the West there was a lot of wealth, but in the East there was a lot of poverty particularly from corrupt governments and the broken form of communism that was held there. This lead to a rising number of migrants from Eastern europe such as Polish people moving to the UK to seek employment, education, higher paid jobs such as catering and waitering, and even higher for those who had skilled work such as doctors, further coupled with the fact we already had a fairly large Polish community setup in the UK from the WW2 migrants, we saw a massive increase in our migration rates. This continued to increase as more and more people realised they could move here essentially freely, until the 1990s where we banned most forms of migration unless it was a genuine claim such as asylum seeking. This was because these Polish migrants and Eastern European migrants had already filled the gap of our economically active population and we no longer needed cheap labour to help pay taxes for our citizens, because with more workers you see higher unemployment and lower wages. This skewed our population pyramid to be even top heavy and lacking on the bottom. Though, it's not to say they didn't help our birth rates increase meaning our youth was also increased, which is better for a sustainable future.

However, in 2004 we saw the EU allow 10 new Eastern european countries to join, meaning we saw increased levels of migration into the UK again, further filling the gap which the older migrants no longer could as they'd retired or returned home with the money they earned. Furthermore, because of this influx o migrants we saw them having babies in our country and setting up communities, for example 25% of births last year was from women born abroad. This has meant that our economically active and young dependents have dramatically increased, thanks to migration into the UK which has left positive benefits on our every worrying population pyramid before.

Edit: Forgot to format the paragraphs from googledrive (facepalm)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calzs34)
    Hiya, I was wondering if people could give me a rough idea of where to improve and if you could what sort of band/marks would this recieve? Thanks a lot!

10b. Explain how the UK's population structure has changed since 1900 as a result of social changes. (15)

Since the 1900s the UK's population has changed quite dramatically. For example, in the early 1900s, we had the setup of the NHS leading to increased health care and life expectancy, furthermore suffragettes fought for women's right to vote. This lead to the rise in equality between men and women, meaning that women now had more power in society and were able to be educated and work. This lead to decreased birth rates as women were educated about contraception etc. meaning that instead of roughly 3-4 babies per couple closing in on the 21st century we saw it fall to almost 2.5 per couple. This was further increasing also due to the decreased death rates and increasing life expectancy from about 55 to 72 in our country. This meant that we were seeing times of more older people particularly from the baby boom in the 50s and 60s, who were living longer and less children to replace them. This lead to us having more elderly dependents in our society and less economically active citizens contributing to taxes.During the 60s and late 70s we saw a lot of post colonial migrants from places such as India and Jamaica moving to the UK, this was because we needed migrants to come into the UK to fill jobs which we simply didn't have, plus the pull factors in the UK ranged from better economy to better healthcare and better education, this was a win win situation. This lead to during these times an increase in our economically actives (18-65), but we still saw a fall in our Youth population as less babies were being born than before. This continued to happen, though birth rates did start to increase as more people migrated into the UK.In the 1980s we saw the destruction of the "Iron Wall" which divided West Germany from East Germany. In the West there was a lot of wealth, but in the East there was a lot of poverty particularly from corrupt governments and the broken form of communism that was held there. This lead to a rising number of migrants from Eastern europe such as Polish people moving to the UK to seek employment, education, higher paid jobs such as catering and waitering, and even higher for those who had skilled work such as doctors, further coupled with the fact we already had a fairly large Polish community setup in the UK from the WW2 migrants, we saw a massive increase in our migration rates. This continued to increase as more and more people realised they could move here essentially freely, until the 1990s where we banned most forms of migration unless it was a genuine claim such as asylum seeking. This was because these Polish migrants and Eastern European migrants had already filled the gap of our economically active population and we no longer needed cheap labour to help pay taxes for our citizens, because with more workers you see higher unemployment and lower wages. This skewed our population pyramid to be even top heavy and lacking on the bottom. Though, it's not to say they didn't help our birth rates increase meaning our youth was also increased, which is better for a sustainable future.However, in 2004 we saw the EU allow 10 new Eastern european countries to join, meaning we saw increased levels of migration into the UK again, further filling the gap which the older migrants no longer could as they'd retired or returned home with the money they earned. Furthermore, because of this influx o migrants we saw them having babies in our country and setting up communities, for example 25% of births last year was from women born abroad. This has meant that our economically active and young dependents have dramatically increased, thanks to migration into the UK which has left positive benefits on our every worrying population pyramid before.
    Interesting response. Some good range, but sight of the task is lost at times: you drift away from social factors or simply talk about social factors without linking it to how they affected the population structure. You move into the future tense a few times - 'this will decrease the population' - but, again, that doesn't show a secure understanding and focus on the task which is to explain how things HAVE changed.

I'd say the detail you put with your examples merits a Band 3. I think you're on the 11/12 borderline and I would give 11 because I think more focus on the task and geographical eloquence is needed to go any higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princesshelen456)
    Interesting response. Some good range, but sight of the task is lost at times: you drift away from social factors or simply talk about social factors without linking it to how they affected the population structure. You move into the future tense a few times - 'this will decrease the population' - but, again, that doesn't show a secure understanding and focus on the task which is to explain how things HAVE changed.

I'd say the detail you put with your examples merits a Band 3. I think you're on the 11/12 borderline and I would give 11 because I think more focus on the task and geographical eloquence is needed to go any higher.
    Thanks, sorry for the big block of text it was meant to be split into 4 paragraphs the formatting was lost! How would you link the social factors to the population structure? And yes, I agree the future tense is the wrong thing to be talking about when we know what has happened.

Thanks, I am aiming for a minimum of 10/15 so 11 is good, but I think I can still improve as I'm fairly confident with the short answer questions, but lack the application for those longer ones!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.