Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Politics Synoptic: What did you think? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was fantastic, that question about political parties attitudes to Europe was a dream come true. Didn't do so well on comparison between Westminster and Brussels, but I can't complain!

What did you think, I'm hoping that a good performance on mod6 will make up for a not so good mod5.

Remember, mod6 = 120UMS and mod5=90UMS

ReputationRep:
    route b was wicked! third way and the liberalism question- amazing! now im off to bed for a few years!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    I thought it was fantastic, that question about political parties attitudes to Europe was a dream come true. Didn't do so well on comparison between Westminster and Brussels, but I can't complain!

What did you think, I'm hoping that a good performance on mod6 will make up for a not so good mod5.

I did the same questions as you, the parties question went fine, but the comparison one didn't go so well, although I chose that one because my knowledge of the other two was worse! Still never mind, in the reverse of you, I think my module 5 was pretty good. Still enough of speculation (or so I keep telling myself), and time to relax because whatever i've got, i've got!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jossy)
    route b was wicked! third way and the liberalism question- amazing! now im off to bed for a few years!!!
    Route B was pretty good. The conservatism question was the easiest we could have possibly hoped for. The Labour one was pretty good too. How did you construct the Labour one?

ReputationRep:

i did the same questions as u and i reckon its pretty easy as well!!!! both of them were good, more to write ER brussels n westminster thou!!but i also thought the unit 4 and 5 were pretty basic as sound as well!!!!

ReputationRep:

Didn't it ask to compre European Parliament which is in Strasbourg?

Thing is with that question is that the mark schemes will be truely indicative content.

Anyone who did that question mentioned the Court of Auditors as seen by many people as the second chamber of the EP? I mentioned that Westminster can be argued as unicameral in disguise. Since that was on a very recent unit I did.

With the third question I mentioned Conservatives most really because they were in office most from 1979 and they've had leaders and senior politicians with different view points. I missed out NI parties but got in Labour, Lib Dem, Plaid Cymru, SNP, UKIP and BNP. Ran out of time after that.

No idea if this managed to help me get my offers for uni.

ReputationRep:
    i thought the EP was in Strasbourg for plenary sessions only?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, i only really concentrated on the three big parties, and even then, mostly on Conservative and Labour. Timing or detail would surely have to give otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    what did you write for the comaprison between eu and uk parliament. i wrote that the uk parlaiment is more powerful but the eu parliament is gradually becoming more and more powerful with increased powers such as co-decision. Thus they are both important but the low turnout of eu suggests it is relativelt less important.
    Question number 3 was lovely. The impact of eu on parties would have been good but how simple was it just to describe their attitudes. The paper was pretty straight foward, i am sure that most will agree. are you sure unit 6 carries 120 ums points.

ReputationRep:
    Question on 3 may have been deceptively simple....

Con - for example, are broadly in favour of economic union, but don't accept the need for political union... and you'd probably need to go into detail about the divisions which exist, and how they've manifested themselves...

simple-ish yeah, but it will catch some out i think

ReputationRep:
    what did you write for the first question then mate

ReputationRep:
    I did the consensus between parties on law and order

ReputationRep:
    o ok. that one was a bit narrow unless you revised it in detail. my friends said they talked about the background to get the feel for consensus. i take it no one did question 4. that question was absolute bull ****.

ReputationRep:
    I never considered the turnout, nor pressure groups which I should have done. So much I could have said.

ReputationRep:
    it is about slection of evidence so it doesnt really matter what you never said just as long as what you said had relevance. how were pressure groups relevant. i just discussed divisions really and how europe is in essence an election winner.
    for question 1 did you talk about election systems used. fptp vs. closed list. that shows synoptic knowledge which is important.
    i am just so happy that the exams are finished though so all this discussion can wait till august the 19th or whenever it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jobin)
    o ok. that one was a bit narrow unless you revised it in detail. my friends said they talked about the background to get the feel for consensus. i take it no one did question 4. that question was absolute bull ****.
    Nah i thought there was a reasonable amount to pick apart

Consensus 90-3
    Individual responsibility
    Administrative criminology
    Prisons as a university of crime
    Community crime prevention

Adversarial 93-4
    Prison works vs. Causal focus

94-> consensus on hard line
    Youth offenders
    Asylum seekers
    Zero tolerance policing
    Rolling courts

consensus on causes - Lab more keen on causes than Cons
    sure start programme

BUT still now adversarial
    recreational drugs
    race relations

seems fairly reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    yeah pretty detailed. you should do well based on that. do you know how much each unit carries in terms of ums points. i thought each unit was equal.

ReputationRep:
    I think its 100 UMS for each unit

ReputationRep:
    Yes but units 3 and 6 are longer than their counterparts units 1 and 2 and units 4 and 5 respectively.

ReputationRep:
    ok cheers. what questions did you do on unit 4 and 5 then?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.