Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Politics Synoptic: What did you think? watch

ReputationRep:
    i really don't know how i did on that, hopefully at least a C, so that I can get an A overall..

didn't write about the impact of devolution either!

ReputationRep:
    I saw the mark scheme today, my politics teacher is the examiner. I only looked at the questions I did, a few points:

Should write about the 3 major parties for comparison of attiutudes to europe
    .....extra marks for other parties, SDLP mentioned in answer scheme
    talk about labour u-turn in attitude since 80's
    tories now more sceptic than ever
    ......can't remember what else.......

actually, i have to go, i'll post some more answers later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    I saw the mark scheme today, my politics teacher is the examiner. I only looked at the questions I did, a few points:

It was hardly a U-turn... it was a split party turning into a largely pro-European Party. Even now there are some significant splits.. LATE, calls for a referendum over European constitution even within the Labour Party..

Tories only sceptical to the extent of being against political union... largely still support economic union... Thatcher extended political union with Schengen and SEA.. and Tories have taken no anti-economic union steps.. (they still don't get that pol union and ec union are inseparable though!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay)
    It was hardly a U-turn... it was a split party turning into a largely pro-European Party. Even now there are some significant splits.. LATE, calls for a referendum over European constitution even within the Labour Party..

Tories only sceptical to the extent of being against political union... largely still support economic union... Thatcher extended political union with Schengen and SEA.. and Tories have taken no anti-economic union steps.. (they still don't get that pol union and ec union are inseparable though!)
    Woah, I was only quoting the mark scheme!

Anyway, Torires were rightly described as sceptics because the question asked about political union as opposed to european union in general. Mark scheme also states Labour's "reversal" in attitude to europe between Foot and Blair.

But with that said, I made all the same points that you did in the exam about Thatcher's pro-economic union stance.

ReputationRep:

Well I mentioned UKIP, BNP, Plaid Cymru and SNP so that seems good

ReputationRep:
    Woah, I was only quoting the mark scheme!

Anyway, Torires were rightly described as sceptics because the question asked about political union as opposed to european union in general. Mark scheme also states Labour's "reversal" in attitude to europe between Foot and Blair.

But with that said, I made all the same points that you did in the exam about Thatcher's pro-economic union stance.
    Wasn't having a go at you- was checking i was ok with the mark scheme

What was the exact wording of the question? I seem to remember it was "European integration" - so that included the tory euro int points for me... may have been my wrong interpretation

For Labour.. I made clear that the party was definitively pro-European under Blair (signed Social Chapter as second act in office).. but that there was significant euro-sceptics within the party, and that before, the party was split on Europe but with a significant euro-sceptic bent. Said that in 1992 they were sufficiently united and anti to vote against paving motion, even if it was with carrot of bringing down Tory govt..

As with the Tories I gave numerous examples of their continuing and growing scepticism/antagonism towards Europe (empty chair policy), but used Maastricht paving motion as an extent to which they were split on Europe. Said now that they are less split than they were - generally anti.

Lib Dems I just said it was part of their raison d'etre and their support for the paving motion.

ReputationRep:
    1, 2 and 3 are worth 100 UMS each. It's different with the other three papers. 4 and 5 are worth 90 whereas 6 is worth 120.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBlueUK)
    1, 2 and 3 are worth 100 UMS each. It's different with the other three papers. 4 and 5 are worth 90 whereas 6 is worth 120.
    Which is more or less equivalent to the difference in time permitted for those exams respectively too.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.