Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Can someone explain why (CH3)2CO has permanent dipole dipole forces please?

And why does CCL4, C2F2 and CO2 not have dipole dipole forces?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm doing Chemistry as well and might get this wrong but I think it's because (CH3)2CO is not a symmetrical molecule unlike the others. If the molecule's symmetrical then the dipoles on each side cancel each other out so the overall dipole is zero.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meek99)
    Hi,

Thanks.
    All those molecules are symmetrical in some way or another so charges cancel out.

(CH3)2CO isn't symmetrical and there's a difference in electronegativity thus it's a polar molecule. If it's a polar molecule then it has dipole dipole forces

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Hi, the oxygen (in red) that is double bonded to the carbon (in black) is electronegative and the carbon is electropositive. This is due to a significant difference in electronegativity between the two atoms.

The C-H bonds "aren't polar" (they are technically but not for the sake of A-Levels).

So you have to look at the shape of the molecule in order to determine states of polarisation. Here, we have an electronegative end (the top of the molecule) and a neutral end (bottom of the molecule), giving rise to a polar molecule! As a result, it forms Van der Waals.

Look at the shapes of the first two: tetrahedral, so these cancel out if all the bonds are polar due to the symmetry of the molecule.
    O=C=O is linear with polar bonds, so also cancels out.

ReputationRep:
    How would you determine the shape of (CH3)2CO?

Is it that one C is the central atom which has 4 electrons and then add the number of atoms that it's bonded to and divide that by 2 to find the no. Of electron pairs?

So 4+9/2 gives an uneven number so is that why it is not symmetrical and has dipole forces?

ReputationRep:
    How would you determine the shape of (CH3)2CO?Is it that one C is the central atom which has 4 electrons and then add the number of atoms that it's bonded to and divide that by 2 to find the no. Of electron pairs?So 4+9/2 gives an uneven number so is that why it is not symmetrical and has dipole forces?

(Original post by thefatone)
    All those molecules are symmetrical in some way or another so charges cancel out.

(CH3)2CO isn't symmetrical and there's a difference in electronegativity thus it's a polar molecule. If it's a polar molecule then it has dipole dipole forces

ReputationRep:
    How would you determine the shape of (CH3)2CO?Is it that one C is the central atom which has 4 electrons and then add the number of atoms that it's bonded to and divide that by 2 to find the no. Of electron pairs?So 4+9/2 gives an uneven number so is that why it is not symmetrical and has dipole forces?
    I haven't done enough research as to why but this here i guess sorta shows everything

so it looks like that because it somehow has 3 electron pairs.... dunno why but it does, so you know it's a trigonal planer.

it's not symmetrical. You can have more than one line of symmetry.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay and also,

Can you help with this as we'll pleas?

Element q forms a sulfate with formula qso4. It's electronic configuration is (Ar)3s2.

Why is it AR(3s2)?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.