Meek99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

Can someone explain why (CH3)2CO has permanent dipole dipole forces please?

And why does CCL4, C2F2 and CO2 not have dipole dipole forces?

Thanks.
christineedaley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi!

I'm doing Chemistry as well and might get this wrong but I think it's because (CH3)2CO is not a symmetrical molecule unlike the others. If the molecule's symmetrical then the dipoles on each side cancel each other out so the overall dipole is zero.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
thefatone
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Meek99)
Hi,

Thanks.
All those molecules are symmetrical in some way or another so charges cancel out.

(CH3)2CO isn't symmetrical and there's a difference in electronegativity thus it's a polar molecule. If it's a polar molecule then it has dipole dipole forces
Marrow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Thanks.
Hi, the oxygen (in red) that is double bonded to the carbon (in black) is electronegative and the carbon is electropositive. This is due to a significant difference in electronegativity between the two atoms.

The C-H bonds "aren't polar" (they are technically but not for the sake of A-Levels).

So you have to look at the shape of the molecule in order to determine states of polarisation. Here, we have an electronegative end (the top of the molecule) and a neutral end (bottom of the molecule), giving rise to a polar molecule! As a result, it forms Van der Waals.

Look at the shapes of the first two: tetrahedral, so these cancel out if all the bonds are polar due to the symmetry of the molecule.
O=C=O is linear with polar bonds, so also cancels out.
Meek99
Rep:
?
How would you determine the shape of (CH3)2CO?

Is it that one C is the central atom which has 4 electrons and then add the number of atoms that it's bonded to and divide that by 2 to find the no. Of electron pairs?

So 4+9/2 gives an uneven number so is that why it is not symmetrical and has dipole forces?
Meek99
Rep:
?
How would you determine the shape of (CH3)2CO?Is it that one C is the central atom which has 4 electrons and then add the number of atoms that it's bonded to and divide that by 2 to find the no. Of electron pairs?So 4+9/2 gives an uneven number so is that why it is not symmetrical and has dipole forces?

(Original post by thefatone)
All those molecules are symmetrical in some way or another so charges cancel out.

(CH3)2CO isn't symmetrical and there's a difference in electronegativity thus it's a polar molecule. If it's a polar molecule then it has dipole dipole forces
thefatone
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How would you determine the shape of (CH3)2CO?Is it that one C is the central atom which has 4 electrons and then add the number of atoms that it's bonded to and divide that by 2 to find the no. Of electron pairs?So 4+9/2 gives an uneven number so is that why it is not symmetrical and has dipole forces?
I haven't done enough research as to why but this here i guess sorta shows everything

so it looks like that because it somehow has 3 electron pairs.... dunno why but it does, so you know it's a trigonal planer.

it's not symmetrical. You can have more than one line of symmetry.
Meek99
Rep:
?
Oh okay and also,

Can you help with this as we'll pleas?

Element q forms a sulfate with formula qso4. It's electronic configuration is (Ar)3s2.

Why is it AR(3s2)?
gingeee123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
bit late but its bc its a shorthand version of qso4. It is the electronic configuration of Ar and then 3s2. They use a noble gas for the shorthand bc it always has a complete outer shell
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thefatone)
I haven't done enough research as to why but this here i guess sorta shows everything

so it looks like that because it somehow has 3 electron pairs.... dunno why but it does, so you know it's a trigonal planer.

it's not symmetrical. You can have more than one line of symmetry.
There are not three electron pairs, there are three electron domains, one of which has four electrons (the double bond)
Three domains gives a trigonal planar arrangement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (54)
28.42%
No (136)
71.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed