Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to get an A* in Biology, and I know my UMS from F216 (the practical exams) is probably gonna be under 90 UMS, so I'll need to do a bit better than 90 UMS in my F214/5 papers to make up for it.

However there is no UMS convertor and the only advice I can find on the OCR website is that there is a linear conversion of UMS points between the grade boundaries - however once you succeed the A* grade boundary, is there ever a cap where you can score less than full marks and still gain full UMS? Or is it a completely linear conversion.

Take last years 2015 F215 paper, an A* was 62/100, and an A was 57/100, and a B was 52/100 - so there was 5 marks between each grade boundary. Now lets say you got 75/100 on this paper, is there any way to convert this to an approximate UMS score? Would the cap for full UMS perhaps be from 67+ marks? Or would it be 100-62 = 38 marks, and so every 3.8 marks above 62 puts you 1 UMS higher above 90?

I'd just really like to be able to estimate the UMS above 90 so I can see how I'm tracking when I do past papers. Thanks for any help
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancinglove)
    I'm hoping to get an A* in Biology, and I know my UMS from F216 (the practical exams) is probably gonna be under 90 UMS, so I'll need to do a bit better than 90 UMS in my F214/5 papers to make up for it.

However there is no UMS convertor and the only advice I can find on the OCR website is that there is a linear conversion of UMS points between the grade boundaries - however once you succeed the A* grade boundary, is there ever a cap where you can score less than full marks and still gain full UMS? Or is it a completely linear conversion.

Take last years 2015 F215 paper, an A* was 62/100, and an A was 57/100, and a B was 52/100 - so there was 5 marks between each grade boundary. Now lets say you got 75/100 on this paper, is there any way to convert this to an approximate UMS score? Would the cap for full UMS perhaps be from 67+ marks? Or would it be 100-62 = 38 marks, and so every 3.8 marks above 62 puts you 1 UMS higher above 90?

I'd just really like to be able to estimate the UMS above 90 so I can see how I'm tracking when I do past papers. Thanks for any help
    Unfortunately OCR does not have a UMS converter like AQA. I think it's fair to assume that if you got 75+ and it was 62 for an A that would be 100% UMS, there is usually a cap where even if you get more raw marks you do not get any more UMS points. The grade boundaries for an A* and 100% UMS may not increase in a perfect linear fashion so it can be hard to predict exactly what raw marks you might need to get an A* or 100% UMS, however, they tend to increase pretty linearly so it can give you an idea of what marks you'd need to get an A* or 100% UMS.

Hope that helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.