Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you help me check if this sentence is okay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    "The extensive use of repetition of possessive pronouns and...in his narrative show..." it doesn't seem to make sense

Can anyone help me fix it?

ReputationRep:
    The extensive repetition of possesive pronouns and... in his narrative highlight...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I can't fail!)
    "The extensive use of repetition of possessive pronouns and...in his narrative show..." it doesn't seem to make sense

In ___'s narrative, the repetition of the possessive pronouns '(use evidence here)' and... Show that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    And what?
    It is a mention of other literary devices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clintbarton)
    In ___'s narrative, the repetition of the possessive pronouns '(use evidence here)' and... Show that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It is a mention of other literary devices
    If what you're proposing isn't even a complete thought, how are we supposed to refine it into a grammatical sentence?

ReputationRep:
    If what you're proposing isn't even a complete thought, how are we supposed to refine it into a grammatical sentence?
    Dude all they did was ask for help with rewording a sentence. Take your grammatical superiority somewhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dude all they did was ask for help with rewording a sentence. Take your grammatical superiority somewhere else.
    Firstly, it may surprise you to learn that grammar is actually quite integral to the "rewording" of sentences. Secondly, it seems perfectly obvious that when inviting others to suggest alternative (and hopefully, more felicitous or expedient) 'wordings', one ought at least to include the initial 'wording' in its unabridged form so that one's audience can thereby infer the complete thought or observation from which the sentence was originally derived before attempting to present it in a more grammatical way; which is literally the entire premise of this thread.

In short: stop being an inverted snob.

ReputationRep:
    Take your grammatical superiority somewhere else.
    It seems to have escaped your attention that the OP is seeking grammatical superiority, and that Profesh asked a sensible question in that context.

ReputationRep:

While we await an answer to Profesh's question, here's a tip to be getting on with: it rarely helps to use long words in a long sentence, particularly when they add nothing to the meaning. In your case, why do you need "extensive repetition"? Surely "repetition" would be enough and not tautological? For that matter why not just "repetition of" rather than "extensive use of repetition of"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    While we await an answer to Profesh's question, here's a tip to be getting on with: it rarely helps to use long words in a long sentence, particularly when they add nothing to the meaning. In your case, why do you need "extensive repetition"? Surely "repetition" would be enough and not tautological? For that matter why not just "repetition of" rather than "extensive use of repetition of"?
    They probably meant 'frequent repetition'.

Actually, since you're here I was wondering whether you could perhaps assist a friend of mine with the following construction:

"I [...] defenestration."

A strict non-disclosure agreement prevents him from being more explicit, but he did suggest at least one malapropism, three questionable conjugations and "in excess of" several dangling participles.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    They probably meant 'frequent repetition'.

Actually, since you're here I was wondering whether you could perhaps assist a friend of mine with the following construction:

"I [...] defenestration."

A strict non-disclosure agreement prevents him from being more explicit, but he did suggest at least one malapropism, three questionable conjugations and "in excess of" several dangling participles.

Thanks in advance!
    hehe Unless your friend has written "I wish to participate passively, with your active and vigorous help, in defenestration" I regret I am unable to help him. If he has written that, then get him up to the fourteenth floor as soon as possible and I will meet you there. We will, at least, be able to deal with his dangling problems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.