Turn on thread page Beta

For the first time in my entire eBay history, 2 items have not arrived. watch

ReputationRep:
    So is this why bitcoin was made? Are government assuming I'm doing bad things with them and intervening? Bleddy idiots.

ReputationRep:
    wut
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I was going to make a comment about contacting the sellers and so on but this sounds like some sort of bizarre conspiracy theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I was going to make a comment about contacting the sellers and so on but this sounds like some sort of bizarre conspiracy theory.
    It is, but you begin to realise, when you cross a certain path, that bizarre conspiracy theories describe reality a lot better than the ignorant masses do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mistletoe)
    It is, but you begin to realise, when you cross a certain path, that bizarre conspiracy theories describe reality a lot better than the ignorant masses do.
    Or, you know, stuff gets lost in the mail, senders aren't always honest, things take time to arrive, etc.

Makes a lot more sense than conspiracy theories. But what would the ignorant masses know on this matter :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Or, you know, stuff gets lost in the mail, senders aren't always honest, things take time to arrive, etc.

Makes a lot more sense than conspiracy theories. But what would the ignorant masses know on this matter :rolleyes:
    I wasn't accusing you of being ignorant. I'm just explaining why I can entertain the absurd.

If I've had 100's of items arriving without issue for the last decade, there is clearly reason to think that something strange is afoot when 2 parcels fail in the same month.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't accusing you of being ignorant. I'm just explaining why I can entertain the absurd.

If I've had 100's of items arriving without issue for the last decade, there is clearly reason to think that something strange is afoot when 2 parcels fail in the same month.
    Urhm, I don't think so...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Forgive me for being blase but that's how it came across.

Likewise I've had many things arrive without issue. I've had stuff that hasn't arrived and often there's a perfectly reasonable explanation. I've had stuff completely disappear as well but I've never chocked it up to something like aliens or government conspiracies.

Yes, 2 items not arriving in quick succession is reason to think something is amiss. That's not the same as jumping to the conclusion that the government are watching your purchases and decided to intervene. A much more reasonable explanation is an issue with your local post office, or the senders, or both, or any other meaningful explanation. Looking into them would actually get results.

As an aside bitcoin wouldn't make any difference. If the government really were spying on you then they'd see your browsing history, be able to look at purchase history and intercept mail just as easily. Bitcoin doesn't make you anonymous, especially since the items still need delivering.

Not to mention if you really were going to throw this in as a government conspiracy the last thing you'd consider doing is posting about it online. Where anyone can read. On top of which I've probably written "government" and "conspiracy" enough times now to encourage some sort of monitoring software to come take a look. If we don't hear from you again I'll assume you've been made to "disappear"

ReputationRep:
    If both items were to be delivered by Hermes, I can totally see two parcels not being delivered in one month.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, especially since you've got such a nice big sample size :rolleyes: Basic statistics tells you that two incidents like that are nothing out of the ordinary.

Also, what was in there that the government would want to intercept it? Candy? Books? Deadly shoes?

ReputationRep:
    Illuminherty!!!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.