Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help me out a bit here!

My laptop (hp ProBook 4510s) has recently started crashing at random intervals. I believe it first started happening last month, where it crashed a few times over a period of a couple of days, then stopped for a few weeks, before doing it again today. It has crashed twice now within the last couple of hours, and it's starting to become mildly irritating.

I can try and give you details of my laptop if they would help (although I'm not great with technology)

What I'd like to know is, what are the possible causes of my laptop crashing, and is there anything I can do to fix it? It doesn't happen so often as to cause a problem as such, but it's getting a bit annoying having to wait 10 or so minutes after each crash to switch my laptop back on, only for it to crash again...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can help me out a bit here!

My laptop (hp ProBook 4510s) has recently started crashing at random intervals. I believe it first started happening last month, where it crashed a few times over a period of a couple of days, then stopped for a few weeks, before doing it again today. It has crashed twice now within the last couple of hours, and it's starting to become mildly irritating.

I can try and give you details of my laptop if they would help (although I'm not great with technology)

What I'd like to know is, what are the possible causes of my laptop crashing, and is there anything I can do to fix it? It doesn't happen so often as to cause a problem as such, but it's getting a bit annoying having to wait 10 or so minutes after each crash to switch my laptop back on, only for it to crash again...
    This could be any number of things:

Power supply working too hard if you added or changed a component like adding more memory or play a lot of games.
    Overheating
    Component failure due to overstressing or age related
    Dry soldered joint during manufacture
    Software bug / incompatibility with a driver perhaps

Try making sure the ventilation holes are clear/not blocked and cleaned and that it's used on a flat surface away from sources of heat.
    Power it up in safe mode and leave it without running anything. If it stays stable, then go back to normal mode and do the same thing.

Go into your start up menu and disable as many apps as possible to try and get it to run without crashing. Gradually start up your apps one by one and see if you can isolate the problem,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    This could be any number of things:

Power supply working too hard if you added or changed a component like adding more memory or play a lot of games.
    Overheating
    Component failure due to overstressing or age related
    Dry soldered joint during manufacture
    Software bug / incompatibility with a driver perhaps

Try making sure the ventilation holes are clear/not blocked and cleaned and that it's used on a flat surface away from sources of heat.
    Power it up in safe mode and leave it without running anything. If it stays stable, then go back to normal mode and do the same thing.

Go into your start up menu and disable as many apps as possible to try and get it to run without crashing. Gradually start up your apps one by one and see if you can isolate the problem,
    Thank you for the response! I think I will try cleaning it out first to remove the dust etc, as I think overheating is probably the issue (my laptop does get quite hot when I use it)

ReputationRep:
    It might have had a few too many. That apparently causes a lot of crashes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.