Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is England so anti-EU compared to Scotland and Republic of Ireland? watch

ReputationRep:
    The Republic of Ireland is happy to be in the EU and has got the Euro.
    Most of the people in Scotland do not want to leave the EU and are so passionate to keep their EU membership that they will call another Scottish referendum if they are taken out of the EU against their will in event of Brexit.

Why has England got to be so different? Why is there so much Europhobia in England compared with Scotland and ROI and indeed most other EU member states?

A lot of countries are queuing up JOIN the EU yet we want to leave??

ReputationRep:
    Not going to share my political view but I honestly think that the citizens of England's recent discovery of how much of an inherent toff David Cameron actually is has had a major influence. I've spoken to loads of people who didn't have a stance on the EU referendum until Big Dave was so vehement in his approach to voting 'in'. This led them to do their own research, most of them, but some of them are so convinced that David Cameron is so much of an ill-advised moron with a kink for pork, that anything that comes out of his mouth is trollop.

People are voting Out because David Cameron isn't.

There is actual evidence to support both the in/out views, but I think Mr Cameron has a huge influence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clintbarton)
    Not going to share my political view but I honestly think that the citizens of England's recent discovery of how much of an inherent toff David Cameron actually is has had a major influence. I've spoken to loads of people who didn't have a stance on the EU referendum until Big Dave was so vehement in his approach to voting 'in'. This led them to do their own research, most of them, but some of them are so convinced that David Cameron is so much of an ill-advised moron with a kink for pork, that anything that comes out of his mouth is trollop.

People are voting Out because David Cameron isn't.

There is actual evidence to support both the in/out views, but I think Mr Cameron has a huge influence.
    But the Scots want to stay in and they hate Cameron and the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Most of the people in Scotland do not want to leave the EU and are so passionate to keep their EU membership that they will call another Scottish referendum if they are taken out of the EU against their will in event of Brexit.

Why has England got to be so different? Why is there so much Europhobia in England compared with Scotland and ROI and indeed most other EU member states?

A lot of countries are queuing up JOIN the EU yet we want to leave??
    maybe because Scotland and Ireland benefit financially better than England .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Indeed, and they really needed it.

No they won't, and even if some attempted it (and the UK Government co-operated to allow it), the nationalists would lose again.

While polls vary on this, the gap in Scotland isn't as big as you might think. The difference is twofold: the greater use of European funding in Scotland, and the fairly poor performance of UKIP: Scotland already has a populist nationalist party of its own, so they've never been particularly big there.

ReputationRep:
    because we actually have a backbone compared to Holland we are minor euro sceptics

ReputationRep:
    because we've seen the effects of mass immigration whereas ireland and scotland haven't - maybe you see that as nimbyism, I see it as having a backbone

ReputationRep:
    England has seen the issue of mass immigration, is by far the largest net contributor out of the countries mentioned and also many nations have large numbers of anti EU sentiment, Sweden and France in particular have a lot of resentment.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, most immigration has actually been from culturally and ethnically similar places like Poland, Slovakia, Czech republic etc. Greece and Italy are bearing the brunt of outer-EU migration to date. Britain basically wants to shirk its responsibilities for taking in asylum seekers from the third world, which is fine (no country should be forced to accept immigration) but at least be honest about it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.