Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gonna start crying someone please help me with this question Watch

ReputationRep:
    So this was a question on the June 2015 paper. I'm not terrible at maths but I still couldn't figure this out. Someone please explain this to me properly before I start crying:

Calculate the mass of cyclohexanol needed to obtain 10.0g if cyclohexane if the yield is 75%.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by slaya)
    So this was a question on the June 2015 paper. I'm not terrible at maths but I still couldn't figure this out. Someone please explain this to me properly before I start crying:

Calculate the mass of cyclohexanol needed to obtain 10.0g if cyclohexane if the yield is 75%.
    It's a 1 to 1 reaction.

In other words 1 mol of cyclohexanol makes 1 mol of cyclohexene (I'm assuming a typo)

Calculate mol of cyclohexene in 10g by dividing by the Mr

Then calculate the mass of cyclohexanol which has this number of moles

This value represents 75% so now scale up the mass to 100%

ReputationRep:
    What exam board?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1. the experimental yield(amount you obtained) is 10g
    2. the theoretical yield (amount your supposed to get..'x')
    3. yield=(experimental yield/Theoretical yield)X100
    4. Therefore (10/x)X100=75
    5. x=13.3g (that means you have put in enough cyclohexanol to make 13.3g of cyclohexane)
    6. soo now u just calculate the number of moles of cyclohexane in 13.3g, that number of moles is equal to the number of moles of cyclohexanol put in (1:1 ratio)
    7. then moles=mass/molar mass is used to calculate the mass of cyclohexanol in (the number of moles u found earlier)
    THERE U GO!! it sounds a bit long but its quite easy just do like 2-3 sums of this type...keep repeating this until u completely understand it
    hope i helped...i hated this question but now i love it... theres a similar one in the 2016 JAN Unit 3 IAL AS paper also just try that as well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.