How do I incorporate my change of passion into my personal statement? Watch

OliverHartless
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I wish to transfer course, onto second year study, at a different university. The course is similar in some regards, but they are still entirely different. I am not sure how to talk about this in my personal statement. I feel as though anything I put will make myself seem arbitrary of capricious.
-How do I mention my passion for this new course? I imagine it is hard because obviously I must have been passionate about my first course and any passion for this new course would have only developed in this 1 year....
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by OliverHartless)
So I wish to transfer course, onto second year study, at a different university. The course is similar in some regards, but they are still entirely different. I am not sure how to talk about this in my personal statement. I feel as though anything I put will make myself seem arbitrary of capricious.
-How do I mention my passion for this new course? I imagine it is hard because obviously I must have been passionate about my first course and any passion for this new course would have only developed in this 1 year....
First of all, have you checked with the uni that they are willing to accept a transfer?

As for describing your interest, if you can link it to the course you are doing now (i.e. the relevant stuff that you have covered this year), that would be good to mention. No need to mention why other stuff is less interesting, just focus on the positives
antonyzac
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think that as long as you justify what motivated you to change to study at THAT particular university, on THAT particular course, then you're in the running for a good personal statement. They want to see why you're so dedicated and a cut above the rest. As said above by Interrobang, avoid negatives about your old course/university as this can be to your detriment
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
On top of the advice above don't use the word passion.

It's either an exaggeration (if you don't get an actual physical boner thinking about your subject) or concerning (if you DO). And it's always a massive cliche.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Material Futures Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of Brighton
    Health and clinical practice + health professions + hospitality, tourism and events + journalism + sport and exercise Postgraduate
    Tue, 26 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (94)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (67)
10.58%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.53%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.53%
No (440)
69.51%

Watched Threads