Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I incorporate my change of passion into my personal statement? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I wish to transfer course, onto second year study, at a different university. The course is similar in some regards, but they are still entirely different. I am not sure how to talk about this in my personal statement. I feel as though anything I put will make myself seem arbitrary of capricious.
    -How do I mention my passion for this new course? I imagine it is hard because obviously I must have been passionate about my first course and any passion for this new course would have only developed in this 1 year....
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by OliverHartless)
    So I wish to transfer course, onto second year study, at a different university. The course is similar in some regards, but they are still entirely different. I am not sure how to talk about this in my personal statement. I feel as though anything I put will make myself seem arbitrary of capricious.
    -How do I mention my passion for this new course? I imagine it is hard because obviously I must have been passionate about my first course and any passion for this new course would have only developed in this 1 year....
    First of all, have you checked with the uni that they are willing to accept a transfer?

As for describing your interest, if you can link it to the course you are doing now (i.e. the relevant stuff that you have covered this year), that would be good to mention. No need to mention why other stuff is less interesting, just focus on the positives
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think that as long as you justify what motivated you to change to study at THAT particular university, on THAT particular course, then you're in the running for a good personal statement. They want to see why you're so dedicated and a cut above the rest. As said above by Interrobang, avoid negatives about your old course/university as this can be to your detriment
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    On top of the advice above don't use the word passion.

It's either an exaggeration (if you don't get an actual physical boner thinking about your subject) or concerning (if you DO). And it's always a massive cliche.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.