Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Extreme lethargy and frequent urination. Watch

I've had these ongoing problems for about 6 months now - the lethargy is getting worse.

I finally went to my GP 3 weeks ago and they took bloods and ran a full blood count to check for B12/Iron deficiencies, diabetes and something else that I can't remember.

I went to see the lady at reception about a week later - she said everything came back normal and I'm fine.

So according to the test I'm fine but something's not right at all.

This lethargy I feel - I could easily lie down and sleep at any point in the day even though I get 8 hrs sleep consistently. I feel drained all the time (physically) and if I do something simple like a trip to the supermarket I'm pretty much done for the day - I'm exhausted. I feel like I constantly have low blood sugar - that lightheaded, weak feeling - eating doesn't help.

My dietary and fluid intake is fine - I keep hydrated and eat a reasonably balanced diet. I started taking vitamins just incase there is a deficiency but it's made no difference.

I've no idea what this is and my GP seems to think the reason I pee a lot is because it's habit and my tiredness is something everyone has. But I was never like this and the reason I pee a lot is because I NEED to, not because I habitually have created a routine - and my tiredness is extreme. Both are really impacting my life since I have commitments (I study alongside work).

What could this be? Thanks x
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've had these ongoing problems for about 6 months now - the lethargy is getting worse.

I finally went to my GP 3 weeks ago and they took bloods and ran a full blood count to check for B12/Iron deficiencies, diabetes and something else that I can't remember.

I went to see the lady at reception about a week later - she said everything came back normal and I'm fine.

So according to the test I'm fine but something's not right at all.

This lethargy I feel - I could easily lie down and sleep at any point in the day even though I get 8 hrs sleep consistently. I feel drained all the time (physically) and if I do something simple like a trip to the supermarket I'm pretty much done for the day - I'm exhausted. I feel like I constantly have low blood sugar - that lightheaded, weak feeling - eating doesn't help.

My dietary and fluid intake is fine - I keep hydrated and eat a reasonably balanced diet. I started taking vitamins just incase there is a deficiency but it's made no difference.

I've no idea what this is and my GP seems to think the reason I pee a lot is because it's habit and my tiredness is something everyone has. But I was never like this and the reason I pee a lot is because I NEED to, not because I habitually have created a routine - and my tiredness is extreme. Both are really impacting my life since I have commitments (I study alongside work).

What could this be? Thanks x
    What they tested you for is just what they thought was most likely. There are loads more tests they can do they just don't want to be taking too much blood if it's going to be the first thing they thought anyway.

I had issues with tirednedd that nobody seemed to understand the severity of. Try saying how inactive you are (like I said I sleep over half the day and when i'm awake I don't have the energy to do x, y, z). They're right everybody gets tired, but some people get more tired than others so just be sure to explain how bothersome it is until they take it seriously.

For me it ended up being a thyroid inbalence, but basically anything can cause tiredness. Not so sure about the frequent urination only time I get that is when I have a UTI and that's a temp thing wheras you seem to have a more long term issue.

Go back to your doc or see a different one if you think it might help. Just try to get them to understand how much it bothers you and that it is interfeering with your life.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Kindred's answer is good, would just add you're entitled to a second opinion on the NHS so if you don't think one GP is taking you seriously go see another one! You're clearly struggling with this, it's not normal and is causing you a problem so get it looked into. Not everything shows up on blood tests and it could well be a combination of problems anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you manage to find out what was causing these symptoms?

Sounds like you just need to eat healthier to be honest

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.