Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! My first thread :eek:
    I've been wanting to move out for a while and I'm turning 18 soon.
    As far as I know I have literally no money to my name and I'm not going to be going to university. I was wondering if you have any tips/ links to things that will help me move out?

If I worked 48 hours a week and earned minimum wage, I'd only make £254.40 per week. That's definitely not enough for all those bills and other living expenses that need to be paid for. Are there any funds I am eligible for?

Thank you in advance to those who respond!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    £254.40 is double what you would need to live simply. You can rent a room for £75 - £100 per week almost anywhere in the country inclusive of bills and council tax.

You could even get a small studio on that wage, but would have less disposable income.

If you live in the north you can probably get a 6 bedroom house with that kind of money
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I should point out that your take home pay is actually ≈£242 pw and so ≈£1049 pcm.
    But as the user above says, it would be sufficient if you're satisfied with living alone. No, you would probably not be eligible for any funds (unless you have a disability) as your income is above the minimum thresholds for income based benefits.

You can check out the Turn2Us benefits calculator here for your own satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    £254.40 is double what you would need to live simply. You can rent a room for £75 - £100 per week almost anywhere in the country inclusive of bills and council tax.

You could even get a small studio on that wage, but would have less disposable income.

If you live in the north you can probably get a 6 bedroom house with that kind of money
    Really?! That sounds awesome! thanks!

(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I should point out that your take home pay is actually ≈£242 pw and so ≈£1049 pcm.
    But as the user above says, it would be sufficient if you're satisfied with living alone. No, you would probably not be eligible for any funds (unless you have a disability) as your income is above the minimum thresholds for income based benefits.

You can check out the Turn2Us benefits calculator here for your own satisfaction.
    I will check it out thank you!

ReputationRep:
    you pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile smile smile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MyNameIsNo)
    Really?! That sounds awesome! thanks!
    Here are some useful tips for first time renters: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mor...ent-a-property
    And it might be useful for you to use this budget calculator to plan a future expenses.
    A couple random pieces of advice. Try to keep a buffer between your outgoings and income in case of emergency and for savings/rainy days and also expect hrly paid jobs to be less than 48 hrs (unless there's a facility for overtime).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Here are some useful tips for first time renters: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mor...ent-a-property
    And it might be useful for you to use this budget calculator to plan a future expenses.
    A couple random pieces of advice. Try to keep a buffer between your outgoings and income in case of emergency and for savings/rainy days and also expect hrly paid jobs to be less than 48 hrs (unless there's a facility for overtime).
    I'll be sure to check those out and thank you for the tips ! I appreciate it!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You also need to consider the costs of moving out. It, for example, cost me around £1300 to buy everything I needed to move out.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You also need to consider the costs of moving out. It, for example, cost me around £1300 to buy everything I needed to move out.
    Sure, but unless you are moving into an unfurnished property you can comfortably get everything you need for <1/10 of that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.