Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who say that pessimists need to 'cheer up' need to think about that a little. watch

ReputationRep:
    We all have emotions right? We all feel a range of things throughout the day, some good some bad, but we all feel. When you tell someone to 'cheer up', you're telling them how to feel. Since when has emotion ever been an instructional, logical process? Can you instruct somebody to be happy, sad, angry, disgusted, confused? No, of course you can't. These feelings are not logical, they are distinctly illogical.

They're also powerful.

Being sad is a powerful way of resolving internal problems. Don't try and take that self-healing quality away from people. It's not healthy.

Here's where I quote inside out, as a surprisingly pertinent and insightful analysis of what emotions like sadness do for us as human beings.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I am a super optimistic person!

ReputationRep:
    I like being a pessimist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    I like being a pessimist!
    No! Be optimistic! Life is great, so make sure you are too!

ReputationRep:
    The fact is that people who display their unhappiness and pessimism constantly are not as good company. I get pretty down extremely often, and I make an effort to be more cheerful than I am but I still come across as rather sullen and correspondingly have a terrible social life. It's difficult to blame others because I am less fond of hanging around people who are negative as well. I would also say that putting on an external mask of positivity actually helps you feel slightly better if only temporarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    The fact is that people who display their unhappiness and pessimism constantly are not as good company. I get pretty down extremely often, and I make an effort to be more cheerful than I am but I still come across as rather sullen and correspondingly have a terrible social life. It's difficult to blame others because I am less fond of hanging around people who are negative as well. I would also say that putting on an external mask of positivity actually helps you feel slightly better if only temporarily.
    I know what you're saying and I do agree with parts. However, I believe that pretending to be happy does more harm than good. You're likely to use it as a mask and when that comes down, what is beneath?

The fact is, people in society today are less and less in touch with their emotions. We don't know how to control them, or how to work through our problems and become happier. We are expected to put on masks and just live with it.

That's a car crash waiting to happen. We need a more open and emotionally intelligent society where people recognise a friend or family member who is struggling and make efforts to help them. This 'mask culture' will get us nowhere and will help no one.

If I was your friend, I would accept your sadness as long as you accepted mine and as long as we were honest and open with each other. I guarantee that we would both fair better with time.

I'm furious that we live in a culture which sweeps emotions under the carpet. Sure, you might not be 'great company' if you're gloomy, but you could be (and I'm sure you are) a wonderful, happy, funny, bright person underneath the sadness. We need to see opportunity not obstacles in our fellow man, we will make no progress otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    I know what you're saying and I do agree with parts. However, I believe that pretending to be happy does more harm than good. You're likely to use it as a mask and when that comes down, what is beneath?

The fact is, people in society today are less and less in touch with their emotions. We don't know how to control them, or how to work through our problems and become happier. We are expected to put on masks and just live with it.

That's a car crash waiting to happen. We need a more open and emotionally intelligent society where people recognise a friend or family member who is struggling and make efforts to help them. This 'mask culture' will get us nowhere and will help no one.

If I was your friend, I would accept your sadness as long as you accepted mine and as long as we were honest and open with each other. I guarantee that we would both fair better with time.

I'm furious that we live in a culture which sweeps emotions under the carpet. Sure, you might not be 'great company' if you're gloomy, but you could be (and I'm sure you are) a wonderful, happy, funny, bright person underneath the sadness. We need to see opportunity no obstacles in our fellow man, we will make no progress otherwise.
    I use this(beneath is a man who has no name)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i'm just a sad mess who can't deal with life although i appear to be quite competent at doing so...
    me too i can accept other people's sadness, i just don't ever want people to accept mine, i wish for it to be my burden and mine alone(i don't want to sound heroic but i rather do things myself i.e. the loner in life)
    personally i hate opening up to others because it makes me feel like i'm giving out unnecessary info(dunno what's wrong with me but i'm super private with most things)

nope i'm a sad person and will be forever, i may laugh and smile at times but that's just cover for the true emotions beneath.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.