Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The circle C has equation:
    x^2 + y^2 -6x +4y = 12

(a) Find the centre and the radius of C.

The point P (-1,1) and the point Q (7,-5) both lie on C.

(b) Show that PQ is a diameter of C.

The point R lies on the positive y-axis and the angle PRQ = 90°.

(c) Find the coordinates of R.

Just need help with part (c) but I wrote the whole question just so you can see the background.

ReputationRep:
    I drew a little rough sketch just to make things easier (not very good at drawing, I'm afraid). It's surprising how helpful visual representations are when it comes to trig and geometry.

Since R lies on the positive y axis, and is 90 degrees against the diameter, x must equal 0 and lies on C. So what you do is you sub x = 0 into the circle equation and solve to find the y coordinate.Hope this helps! ^^

ReputationRep:
    I think the 'GCSE' tag on this is supposed to be AS level isnt it? Because I recall this question in a C2 paper!

ReputationRep:
    OP did mention in her introduction thread that she'll be sitting the FSMQ Add Maths paper, which covers a mix of C1 and C2 questions. I remember doing questions like this in Year 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RCLeahcar)
    I drew a little rough sketch just to make things easier (not very good at drawing, I'm afraid). It's surprising how helpful visual representations are when it comes to trig and geometry.

Since R lies on the positive y axis, and is 90 degrees against the diameter, x must equal 0 and lies on C. So what you do is you sub x = 0 into the circle equation and solve to find the y coordinate.Hope this helps! ^^
    Could you check my working out because I managed to find the answer to this question on the Internet (0,2), however my answer is (0,6)? I'm struggling to find out what I did wrong. Attachment 529337529339Name:  image.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  509.9 KB

P.S. Sorry it's quite scruffy
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MainlyMathsHelp)
    Could you check my working out because I managed to find the answer to this question on the Internet (0,2), however my answer is (0,6)? I'm struggling to find out what I did wrong. Attachment 529337529339Name:  image.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  509.9 KB

P.S. Sorry it's quite scruffy
    You got the signs mixed up. You put (x+3) and (y-2) when it should have been (x-3) and (y+2).
    When simplifying the circle equation in a, you don't change the signs in the brackets, thus it simplifies to (x-3)^2 + (y+2)^2 = 25 and the centre should be (3,-2).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.