Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently doing Highers. I am currently only a B grade student and for veterinary medicine they want all As. Plus I really feel nervous for Biology and Chemistry.

So I was wondering if my exam results did turn out Bs for all my subjects and I resist the whole Higher year again, would vet schools even consider me? I heard someone say you had to get As in first sitting

I got As and A*s in my GCSE except one B.

So if I ended up with Bs this year for my Higher (AS level equivalent) would they consider me for vet school?

ReputationRep:
    For Scottish universities you need to get all of their required higher grades in your first sitting (5th year)
    Edinburgh's requirements - "AAAAB Five Highers including Chemistry (A), Biology (A) and either Mathematics or Physics to be achieved by the end of S5. If Biology has not been studied in S5, it should be taken in S6 to Higher level."
    Glasgow's - "AAAAB (including Chemistry and Biology) by the end of S5"

+ BB at Advanced Higher Chem and Bio (Gla and Edin)

For English unis, as long as you get AA in your Advanced Highers, they don't care** if you get B's at highers as long as you meet all of their higher requirements by the end of 6th year, if that makes sense.

So let's say you get AABBB this year (With B's in Chem and Bio) and next year you get 2 more A's in additional highers.
    You can still apply to unis with AAAAB requirements, because you'll have AAAABBB (+ AA in AH's of course)

I only sat 4 highers in my 5th year, got BB in Chemistry and Biology and I could apply to nearly all vet schools** (Excluding Scottish of course),
    I didn't get in because I failed my Advanced Highers, but that's another story...

** Double check by emailing them. I'm pretty sure there was at least 1 English vet school that required Scottish students to have higher grades at first sitting but can't remember which one it was as I was applying 2 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    For Scottish universities you need to get all of their required higher grades in your first sitting (5th year)
    Edinburgh's requirements - "AAAAB Five Highers including Chemistry (A), Biology (A) and either Mathematics or Physics to be achieved by the end of S5. If Biology has not been studied in S5, it should be taken in S6 to Higher level."
    Glasgow's - "AAAAB (including Chemistry and Biology) by the end of S5"

+ BB at Advanced Higher Chem and Bio (Gla and Edin)

For English unis, as long as you get AA in your Advanced Highers, they don't care** if you get B's at highers as long as you meet all of their higher requirements by the end of 6th year, if that makes sense.

So let's say you get AABBB this year (With B's in Chem and Bio) and next year you get 2 more A's in additional highers.
    You can still apply to unis with AAAAB requirements, because you'll have AAAABBB (+ AA in AH's of course)

I only sat 4 highers in my 5th year, got BB in Chemistry and Biology and I could apply to nearly all vet schools** (Excluding Scottish of course),
    I didn't get in because I failed my Advanced Highers, but that's another story...

** Double check by emailing them. I'm pretty sure there was at least 1 English vet school that required Scottish students to have higher grades at first sitting but can't remember which one it was as I was applying 2 years ago.

What if I get a C in chemistry...

ReputationRep:
    I imagine you would have to resit (although I'm not 100% sure), but I still wouldn't resit the entire year to do that.
    I would suggest trying to arrange with your school sitting both AH Chem and H Chem exams. And since they're always on the same day and time, you would have to sit one immediately after the other, or after a short break under invigilators supervision.

I would also advise emailing the vet schools if you think you're gonna get a C in Higher chemistry, they'll be able to advise you more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.