Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you get pregnant if you had your period the next day? Watch

I googled this a lot, but I couldn't find a specific answer, especially about my circumstances.

Basically I'm not even sure if I had sex or not (long story,) but the next day I came on my period. This was last weekend. The thing is I have VERY irregular periods (I had an eating disorder, so they just started to come back), so I'm not even sure when I'm supposed to be having them or anything. Thing is I'm still bleeding (on my period?) now, and it's been almost 7-8 days, and this is the longest any of my periods have lasted? Could this be something other than a period? I'm not even sure how long I'll have to wait until my next period because they're not regular.

Basically I have a lot of questions and I don't want to buy a pregnancy test because it's so embarrassing and I have anxiety and I wouldn't want my parents to find anything.

ReputationRep:
    I've had lots of kids. Here's my view:

It sounds extremely unlikely that you're pregnant. Sometimes, in very early pregnancy, women experience blood spotting, when the egg is implanting in the womb, at the time when a normal period is expected. But this is literally only a few blood spots, and nothing like a full period. Alternatively, if there has been a pregnancy, and it's no longer viable, then it's possible to experience the equivalent of an exceptionally heavy period, usually within the first 10-12 weeks since fertilisation.

To put your mind at rest, though, I'd still recommend that you buy a pregnancy test, if other options such as clinics or a GP are less appealing.

There's no need to do the test at home, if you're concerned about your parents finding packaging etc. Again, it's extremely unlikely that you are pregnant, but a test might stop you worrying.

(Original post by DrSocSciences)
    I've had lots of kids. Here's my view:

It sounds extremely unlikely that you're pregnant. Sometimes, in very early pregnancy, women experience blood spotting, when the egg is implanting in the womb, at the time when a normal period is expected. But this is literally only a few blood spots, and nothing like a full period. Alternatively, if there has been a pregnancy, and it's no longer viable, then it's possible to experience the equivalent of an exceptionally heavy period, usually within the first 10-12 weeks since fertilisation.

To put your mind at rest, though, I'd still recommend that you buy a pregnancy test, if other options such as clinics or a GP are less appealing.

There's no need to do the test at home, if you're concerned about your parents finding packaging etc. Again, it's extremely unlikely that you are pregnant, but a test might stop you worrying.
    Thanks a lot. I'd honestly much rather go to the GP than have to buy a pregnancy test. Could you go and have them do a test there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks a lot. I'd honestly much rather go to the GP than have to buy a pregnancy test. Could you go and have them do a test there?
    Yes, but when you phone for an appointment, they may allocate you to a nurse instead of a dr, which is fine for these purposes.

ReputationRep:
    Some GPs will not do routine pregnancy tests and want you to buy your own anyway. They don't get any funding to buy tests for people who just want to know and haven't bothered testing themselves.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thing is I'm still bleeding (on my period?) now, and it's been almost 7-8 days, and this is the longest any of my periods have lasted? Could this be something other than a period? I'm not even sure how long I'll have to wait until my next period because they're not regular.
    It's extremely unlikely that you're pregnant. As has been said, it'd be too early to get implantation spotting. (And that's literally 'spots' of blood rather than anything that could be mistaken for a period, especially one lasting that long.) It's also not a miscarriage bleed.

It's too near to the sex to have a reliable test. If you're still worried in about ten or so days, places like Poundland do tests and are busy enough that the cashiers barely notice what you're buying. They're small enough to be easily hidden and disposed of.

No one seems to have mentioned the more worrying issue of not knowing if you have had sex. I'm wondering why you don't know - is this a case of 'I was very drunk and..' long story?

(Original post by unprinted)
    It's extremely unlikely that you're pregnant. As has been said, it'd be too early to get implantation spotting. (And that's literally 'spots' of blood rather than anything that could be mistaken for a period, especially one lasting that long.) It's also not a miscarriage bleed.

It's too near to the sex to have a reliable test. If you're still worried in about ten or so days, places like Poundland do tests and are busy enough that the cashiers barely notice what you're buying. They're small enough to be easily hidden and disposed of.

No one seems to have mentioned the more worrying issue of not knowing if you have had sex. I'm wondering why you don't know - is this a case of 'I was very drunk and..' long story?
    Thanks. I didn't know poundland did tests. I think I'm going to go to self-service in asda or somewhere, though. I couldn't face a clerk.

It really is a long story...I was so drunk that I can't remember anything, and I passed out basically in the middle of the street, I always worry about things like this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It really is a long story...I was so drunk that I can't remember anything, and I passed out basically in the middle of the street, I always worry about things like this.
    If I suspected someone had had sex with me in that condition, I'd be talking to the police. What makes you think it might have happened?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.