Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I would like to study Geography at a Russell Group University after 6th form. I can't decide if I should do Economics or Spanish? The A levels I am defiantly doing are Biology, English Lit and of course Geography.
    Any advice would be higher appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    Out of those, I would suggest Economics, as it would be more relevant to geography than Spanish. However, I would pick whichever you think you would do better in

Biology? DAMMN, Im doing Geog too however :P

ReputationRep:
    If you could replace english lit with economics and spanish.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, why would you say economics? The only reason I'm doing English lit is because Cambridge suggest an essay based subject. 😔 thanks for all your advice!

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about what you want to do with a geography degree?

A good course to consider is geography at King's College London which you can do a joint degree with SOAS which is one bus journey up one road which you could walk it if you wanted to.

https://www.soas.ac.uk/departments/j.../babscgeogand/

Doing Geography joint with social anthropology is a great one.

Getting a place at King's College London would be fantastic and would take some pressure off aiming for Cambridge but that is not to discourage you from trying.

King's is next to the London School of Economics which too has an incredible geography department and this is handy for the geography public lectures and all the lecture series in general.

London has the Royal Geographical Society with its lecture series and the Royal Anthropological Institute is in London also.

Anthropology is not just about people who live in the jungle it is about looking at humans as if they are a species of animals like monkeys and it is a very advanced field of study and extremely useful to research.

You could work with the National Geographic magazine and writing for newspapers and even researching for documentary film-makers.

Which leads me to this masters http://www.ucl.ac.uk/anthropology/st...cumentary-film

You could go on to make documentaries about interesting things out there in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, geography has no required entry subjects. So just pick any subject that you enjoy or excel!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your advice on anthropology!! I have always considered both Kings College and LSE so I will definitely look into it, only I just want to make sure I take the best options to give me the best chance of getting into a top university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TarotOfMagic)
    Honestly, geography has no required entry subjects. So just pick any subject that you enjoy or excel!
    Thanks!! That's what I would prefer to do.. Although I know the very top universities have slightly preferred.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.