This discussion is closed.
toronto353
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Prime Minister's Questions

Welcome to the latest instalment of PMQs.

PMQs is an opportunity for members to debate the policies and ideas of the MHoC's Prime Minister, the Rt Hon. Life_peer MP, who will answer your questions over the course of two days.

The Leader of the Opposition, the Rt Hon. Quamquam123 MP, may ask two questions, with a follow-up question for each. MPs may ask one question, with one follow-up. Ordinary users may ask one question with no follow-ups. Please keep the joke questions to a minimum.

(Original post by Life_peer)
QFA
(Original post by Quamquam123)
QFA
username1621561
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Life_peer what is your position on state welfare and PIP specifically
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mr Speaker, would the Minister Prime agree with me that the election results demonstrate a dawning of a new age which will lead Britain to become far stronger and more prosperous?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DanE1998)
With his new appointment, can Quamquam123 confirm the priorities of the opposition
It's PMQs, you don't get to ask Leader of the Opposition questions.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
With his new appointment, can Quamquam123 confirm the priorities of the opposition
Oi!!! This is PMQ's not LOTOQs!!!!

Can I firstly congratulate the Rt. Hon. Gentleman Mr Prime Minister Life_peer on his long awaited and well deserved appointment and state that I look forward to serving under him.

I would like to ask the prime minister what his main aims for this term as prime minister are?
username1621561
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
It's PMQs, you don't get to ask Leader of the Opposition questions.
Updated, I was going somewhere with it... promise, I should have expanded it slightly
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mr Acting Speaker,
I would like to ask the Prime Minister what his stance is on immigration.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mr (Acting) Speaker,

I'd firstly like to congratulate my Right Honourable Friend on his ascension to the highest position in this land. I am glad to be serving as his Deputy Prime Minister.

I would like to ask the Prime Minister his thoughts on both Euthanasia and Drug Legalisation?
username1899909
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mr ( Acting ) Speaker
Will the Minster Prime argee with me that Islamic extremism has no place in society and what will the government do to prevent radicalisation and how to deal with radicalised individuals
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mr Deputy Speaker,

I'd like to start by welcoming my successor to his post. Will he briefly outline the policies his coalition has floated during negotiations, for which the Deputy Prime Minister has stated that he expects decent cross-party support?
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
First of all, thank you for your questions.

Life_peer what is your position on state welfare and PIP specifically
I'm ideologically opposed to wealth redistribution, particularly at the expense of the middle class, which takes the biggest impact and doesn't gain as much in return. I believe in solidarity among people, albeit not at the level of the state, but families or communities. Therefore, my position varies and depends on multiple variables, the most important being that everyone who is able to work should work, and that the benefits are spent responsibly.

I fully support state pensions for people who have spent their working years generating revenue to their country and need to be taken care of when they're old. I support sick and maternal pay because we need to provide incentives for people to procreate and raise the next generations in relative comfort. I support housing benefits for young families who need their own place in order to become independent. I support income support for people who have lost their job and require help to get through the difficult times and find another job as soon as possible. I support enough paid vacation with government incentives to make sure the population is healthy, both physically and mentally, which helps them be more productive and usually saves us a lot more money on healthcare.

However, if people try to exploit the system or spend the money they get from others on things they don't need, such as cigarettes or alcohol, or they clearly aren't doing as much as they could to take care of themselves, I am very much against any support (and the reason why I prefer equivalents of US food stamps). For 2011–12 it was estimated that 0.8%, or £1.2bn, of total benefit expenditure was overpaid as a result of fraud, and that's just the known and currently acknowledged portion. It's admittedly just a drop in the ocean, but still a lot of money. I expect benefits under ‘my rules’ would save a lot more.

As for the PIP specifically, I'm not fully aware of the regulations so I'm not quite sure but it's something I'd like to be done on the family level. If you have a family member suffering from a long-term health condition or disability, it should be primarily you to take care of him, not strangers from all across the country.

Mr Speaker, would the Minister Prime agree with me that the election results demonstrate a dawning of a new age which will lead Britain to become far stronger and more prosperous?
I certainly do hope so. Multiple events on here as well as in ‘real life’ appear to be supporting your prediction.

(Original post by Aph)
Oi!!! This is PMQ's not LOTOQs!!!!

Can I firstly congratulate the Rt. Hon. Gentleman Mr Prime Minister Life_peer on his long awaited and well deserved appointment and state that I look forward to serving under him.

I would like to ask the prime minister what his main aims for this term as prime minister are?
Thank you, I hope we'll use this opportunity to show others how successful a Conservative-led government with Liberal support can be.

My aims as the Prime Minister—once we get access to the bloody government forum—are to coordinate the activity of the government and ensure that our policy is successfully implemented. I'd like to take a more active role than some of my predecessors and react to situations, both in ‘real life’ and hopefully also courtesy of the Crisis Committee.

I intend to emphasise departments and give more power to Secretaries of State as well as try to encourage cooperation between members rather than ‘exclusive authorship’.

(Original post by Quamquam123)
Mr Acting Speaker,
I would like to ask the Prime Minister what his stance is on immigration.
This hasn't changed much in the last months—I am open to skilled legal migration if it helps our economy and doesn't pose a risk to the local culture. I am against sociocultural globalisation and certainly against mass immigration of so-called refugees from regions of the Middle East. As one of the leading global powers, we should take steps to stabilise the problematic regions and address the root of the problem rather than provide shelter and thereby merely alleviate the negative consequences.

(Original post by PetrosAC)
Mr (Acting) Speaker,

I'd firstly like to congratulate my Right Honourable Friend on his ascension to the highest position in this land. I am glad to be serving as his Deputy Prime Minister.

I would like to ask the Prime Minister his thoughts on both Euthanasia and Drug Legalisation?
Thank you and congratulations to you as well for closing the deal once again, albeit with a different party!

As I outlined in our private conversations, I have recently (concerning the latter, since I've always been in support of the former) taken a libertarian approach in support of both. It may come as a surprise to some, but—

1. I believe that euthanasia isn't a matter of the state. As long as there is a terminally ill person who suffers or has an otherwise low quality of life, and a person willing to perform euthanasia in a humane way, I believe the state should not interfere. Not only it saves us money, since life support can be very costly, it also saves people from unnecessary suffering and lets them die on their own terms. Furthermore, if someone chooses not to believe in God or some other form of moral authority with post-mortem consequences, we shouldn't really be forcing them to give life in itself more value than they do. It's everyone's own decision.

2. I've seen compelling arguments in favour of complete drug legalisation. Not just Class C, everything. I have yet to look at reliable data but from a documentary here and an article there, I've been led to believe it results in much less violent crime (people don't have to deal with shady criminals to get what they want), less pressure on law enforcement agencies and prisons (the ‘war on drugs’ is futile anyway), and perhaps counterintuitively less substance abuse. I still need to see these conclusions backed by solid research but I'm ready to support such legislation if it all checks out even in spite of my contempt for people who have let drugs ruin their lives.

Furthermore, we could use drugs to increase tax revenue and use the funds to finance various health-related projects including support for people who are addicted and want to quit.

(Original post by hazzer1998)
Mr ( Acting ) Speaker
Will the Minster Prime argee with me that Islamic extremism has no place in society and what will the government do to prevent radicalisation and how to deal with radicalised individuals
I do indeed. Islamic extremism is dangerous not only to our population, but to the whole world. People who come here with the intention to hurt us should be dealt with mercilessly, and their organisations and ideology annihilated, or at least contained to the parts of the world where they originate. It is not our job to solve every issue in the world.

(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Mr Deputy Speaker,

I'd like to start by welcoming my successor to his post. Will he briefly outline the policies his coalition has floated during negotiations, for which the Deputy Prime Minister has stated that he expects decent cross-party support?
Thank you, and with pleasure.

Among other things, the coalition government intends to address the huge issue of tax heavens and avoidance, simplify the tax code, focus on rehabilitation rather than punishment (take Norway as an example), look into drug legalisation (starting with Class C substances), retain Trident and keep looking for alternatives, support military actions against the IS, attempt to legalise euthanasia, increase NHS spending on front-line services, introduce financial education programs and audits to tackle careless spending among the working class, reduce university tuition fees for STEM degrees, steer renewable energy initiatives towards geothermal sources, build three desalination plants in the South, abolish taxes on all residential construction developments when purchased by first-time buyers, creation of ‘garden cities’, strict regulation and reduction of food wastage, reduce council tax, prioritise domestic investments rather than foreign expenses, expand access to private tutors, continue to protect digital privacy, and many more.

These are not guaranteed, but it's an honest sneak peek into our plans for the term. The rate of success will ultimately depend on individual Secretaries of State and their teams.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you, and with pleasure.

Among other things, the coalition government intends to address the huge issue of tax heavens and avoidance, simplify the tax code, focus on rehabilitation rather than punishment (take Norway as an example), look into drug legalisation (starting with Class C substances), retain Trident and keep looking for alternatives, support military actions against the IS, attempt to legalise euthanasia, increase NHS spending on front-line services, introduce financial education programs and audits to tackle careless spending among the working class, reduce university tuition fees for STEM degrees, steer renewable energy initiatives towards geothermal sources, build three desalination plants in the South, abolish taxes on all residential construction developments when purchased by first-time buyers, creation of ‘garden cities’, strict regulation and reduction of food wastage, reduce council tax, prioritise domestic investments rather than foreign expenses, expand access to private tutors, continue to protect digital privacy, and many more.

These are not guaranteed, but it's an honest sneak peek into our plans for the term. The rate of success will ultimately depend on individual Secretaries of State and their teams.
Well, Mr Deputy Speaker, I can't say I'm not surprised.

Have the Liberals talked you into drugs legalisation and geothermal energy, in particular will you be carrying out the plan of the Rt Hon member for the Aphiverse with regard to the latter?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
x
Thank you Mr Minister Prime, I am very much enjoying this new format with much more detailed answers being given where it is reasonable to do so. What do you think will be our most important policy when it comes to helping usher in this new era?
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Well, Mr Deputy Speaker, I can't say I'm not surprised.

Have the Liberals talked you into drugs legalisation and geothermal energy, in particular will you be carrying out the plan of the Rt Hon member for the Aphiverse with regard to the latter?
Haha, not at all.

The change of heart concerning drugs has been due to various documentaries, most recently Deep Web (2015), and geothermal energy is Rakas's policy which was presented during the last General Election: “Geothermal energy should be given priority in renewable generation with a goal of producing enough to heat all UK homes by 2030.”
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you Mr Minister Prime, I am very much enjoying this new format with much more detailed answers being given where it is reasonable to do so. What do you think will be our most important policy when it comes to helping usher in this new era?
I'm glad to hear that, though I'm not sure which one to pick so I'm going to go with economic policies collectively. Strong economy is the cornerstone of every nation and necessary to satisfy most personal needs.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dear Speaker, to the PM, since we've now seen the evidence for the weekend effect shredded, will the government be renegotiating with JDs and have they changed tact, or are they continuing down the "work longer, hire fewer, pay less" angle?

To expand, 1) is he prepared to invest resources to bring staffing levels at weekends to match that of weekdays?
2) will he reinstate the independence of the Guardians to protect whistleblowers and overworked doctors
3) will the government be prepared to further increase health care spending, or will he be taking state wide measures to lower cost or make more services consumer based (dental)
4) what are his thoughts on junior doctor pay and the difference in premium payments, which have already caused shortages in A+E and other out of hours department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mr Deputy Speaker,

I would like to congratulate the Rt. Hon.Life_peer on his appointment. I would like to ask him what economic plans he has in place?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mr Acting Speaker,

I would like to ask the Prime Minister whether or not the Government has any plans to reform the Police Service in South Yorkshire given the failings over the Rotherham child abuse scandal, the Hillsborough inquest findings, and the actions they undertook in Orgreave in 1984? Would the Prime Minister consider options such as disbanding the force, merging with another, or other change to root out the systemic failings and cover-ups? And does the Prime Minister feel that anyone convicted of cover-ups or other offences should help fund the legal costs that have hitherto been covered by the taxpayer?
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Prime Minister, when will the cabinet of your glorious government be released to the MHoC?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
Prime Minister, when will the cabinet of your glorious government be released to the MHoC?
I'm just going to jump in here and answer this one.

It should be in the OP of the Ask the Government thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (132)
14.78%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed