Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B971 - The Fracking Bill 2016, TSR Green Party

The Fracking Bill 2016, TSR Green party

A BILL TO

Outlaw Fracking in the United Kingdom

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. 'Fracking' shall mean the drilling down into the earth before a high-pressure water mixture is directed at the rock to release the gas inside. Under this process water, sand and chemicals are injected into the rock at high pressure which allows the gas to flow out to the head of the well.
2. Fracking shall not be permitted in the United Kingdom, and any current fracking activity shall cease upon passage of the Bill. It shall be a criminal offence to permit, carry out, or allow on land the practice of fracking.
3. The maximum penalty for any person carrying out fracking, or allowing fracking on their land shall be five year's imprisonment, upon conviction. A company upon conviction can be fined a maximum of £1 million.
4. This Bill will apply to the whole of the United Kingdom
5. This will take effect from the passage of the Bill.

Notes
Fracking sites have included drilling in countryside areas, and should it expand could include Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. There are numerous dangers associated with fracking, including water contamination. By using fossil fuels instead of renewable energy sources, this will increase the impact of climate change.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How about no?
BenC1997
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm all for fracking unfortunately. At a time when we need to reduce our dependence on other countries for our energy, it seems counter productive to ban other ways of finding and providing energy.
PetrosAC
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay. I don't believe we should frack in "Green" areas or areas of outstanding beauty, but other than that, it is necessary until we make a full transition to renewables. You can't rush the transition.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye!
Quamquam123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye. I don't want the small amount of countryside that's left to be ruined.
Whiggy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would definitely vote 'Aye' on this if I could. Fracking can damage 'green' areas and areas of natural beauty. Even if such areas aren't fracked, we need more studies on the long-term effects of fracking.

Better late than never, I suppose...
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'm all for heavy regulation but I'm wary of a complete ban until more research has been done to properly weight the risks. It's better to be safe than sorry but as far as I know, it can be done safely, although the long-term effects are indeed unknown. I'm leaning slightly towards an aye, but I'd rather see a call for proper research than a ban.
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quamquam123)
Aye. I don't want the small amount of countryside that's left to be ruined.
I wouldn't call 94% only a small amount, Britain does exist outside London.
username1899909
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay ! I am all for fracking although not in AONBs ..... There are economical benefits to fracking such as it can reduce energy bills... And it provides access to alternative ways to fuel other forms of power

I suggest members read this

( http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/brook...ts-of-fracking )
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Part of me feels the replacement energy source needs to be in place first. If you can convince me that it is, then I will support this.
PetrosAC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Part of me feels the replacement energy source needs to be in place first. If you can convince me that it is, then I will support this.
This is my view, and I'm honestly not convinced we are ready just yet
GaelicBolshevik
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.
EricAteYou
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmmm...

Whilst I'm against fracking , it's more that it's a fossil fuel then the methods they use are questionable.

An aye vote now might just shift the fuel used to something worse, I'll vote nay only as the follow up might be worse ( that is another fossil fuel using other methods ).
The Financier
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absolutely not.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, the bill does not work because firms could pay the maximum fine of £1 million but still fine it profitable to start fracking, the bill is an overreaction to something where the effects are unknown, and I support fracking in some areas.
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Given the strict regulation we have in this country for oil and gas exploration, there is little risk of water contamination.

We are generating too little energy in the UK, and fracking is a way to tackle that.

Energy prices are very high, and fracking is a way to tackle that.

We still rely on coal, which is far worse for the environment than gas, and fracking is a way to tackle that.

Are the Greens really going to turn down such an opportune and necessary energy source, purely due to unfounded concerns?

An obvious nay.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)

I'm all for heavy regulation but I'm wary of a complete ban until more research has been done to properly weight the risks. It's better to be safe than sorry but as far as I know, it can be done safely, although the long-term effects are indeed unknown. I'm leaning slightly towards an aye, but I'd rather see a call for proper research than a ban.
People who have the knowledge and experience of cracking frequently oppose the building of such in their area. Like nuclear, except more so, until it cannot be conclusively be proven safe it should be banned.

Were it be legal would you support state fracking or just selling the rights and taking a small percentage of product?
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I absolutely oppose fracking - AYE
Jammy Duel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
People who have the knowledge and experience of cracking frequently oppose the building of such in their area. Like nuclear, except more so, until it cannot be conclusively be proven safe it should be banned.

Were it be legal would you support state fracking or just selling the rights and taking a small percentage of product?
Good, it will never be banned, even if we take what you mean to say, that attitude would have us stuck in prehistory.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (21)
30%
No - I have already returned home (8)
11.43%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (15)
21.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.14%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
30%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed