The Student Room Group

US College International Applicants for Fall 2017

I'm not sure if anyone's made a thread yet but this is the time of year we're doing our SAT/ACT and getting stressed:colondollar:

I'm interested to see what everyone is going for this year!

1. What colleges?
2. Are you doing any standardised testing?
3. Applying for FA/scholarships?
4. Applying ED to any?
5. Prospective majors?
+additional comments
Feel free to ask me any questions if you have doubts (although I won't be of much help regarding financial aid)

All the best in your applications :smile: Remember the key is to start early and take your time with everything
Reply 2
Where r u applying :biggrin:
Helped many a friend through the process (many got into Ivies/top unis) so feel free to ask any Qs here as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GUMI
Where r u applying :biggrin:

Columbia, Dartmouth, Stanford, NYU, Chicago, Reed, Plattsburgh, Skidmore, St Joseph's, USC and McGill in Canada:colondollar:
Does anyone know when the dates for the SATs are? Have they already past? :frown:
Original post by slothgenius
Does anyone know when the dates for the SATs are? Have they already past? :frown:

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/international

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Applying to: Villanova, Howard, George Washington, Redlands, Loyola New Orleans & Miami (FL)
May add a top 20 if my SATs and AS Grades are extremely good

Did the SAT Last week, so should be getting scores next month
Will probably register for the Sat IIs in Chem/Bio and World History

I'm A UK/US Dual Citizen so will be applying for FAFSA but will also look for additional scholarships (and will hopefully receive some merit awards)

Hoping to major in political science or economics, and take the pre-med prerequisites
Original post by froa98
Applying to: Villanova, Howard, George Washington, Redlands, Loyola New Orleans & Miami (FL)
May add a top 20 if my SATs and AS Grades are extremely good

Did the SAT Last week, so should be getting scores next month
Will probably register for the Sat IIs in Chem/Bio and World History

I'm A UK/US Dual Citizen so will be applying for FAFSA but will also look for additional scholarships (and will hopefully receive some merit awards)

Hoping to major in political science or economics, and take the pre-med prerequisites

Nice, I did the SAT last week too! I'm also doing Bio SAT II and hopefully doing political science, are you looking to go into med then?
Reply 9
How did you find it? I was honestly expecting worse. I found the multiple choice and whole answer sheet thing really amusing.

Yeah, that's the plan.
It's really the only career that's only ever appealed to me. I don't really want to major in bio or a science like most pre med students probably do, just because I have the chance to take other lots more classes while completing the necessary requirements so I may as well earn a degree in another interest of mine

What are you planning to do career wise, do you want to stay in the U.S?
Original post by froa98
How did you find it? I was honestly expecting worse. I found the multiple choice and whole answer sheet thing really amusing.

Yeah, that's the plan.
It's really the only career that's only ever appealed to me. I don't really want to major in bio or a science like most pre med students probably do, just because I have the chance to take other lots more classes while completing the necessary requirements so I may as well earn a degree in another interest of mine

What are you planning to do career wise, do you want to stay in the U.S?

Well I didn't prep for the essay so that was a disaster:redface: but apart from that, it was okay! The non-calc maths wasn't my strong point, and I think I'll be redoing it, but I didn't really put much effort in this time around.

That's great! One of the things that appeals to me about US study is the fact that I don't have to commit to any given subject immediately! Honestly I haven't thought about it, I'm thinking of majoring in polisci, psychology or French and I don't really know where I'd go from there.
Reply 11
Now you've got a feel of it, I'm sure it will be much better next time

Exactly what I love about it too! I mean, I might start thinking I want to major in poli sci, but take a few classes in another subject and realise that that's my true love.

Best of luck with everything
1. What colleges?
Columbia, NYU, Princeton, ... others but I haven't decided yet.

Planning on doing SAT. Done SAT II Math 2

Yes, FA.

4. Applying ED to any?
No as I wouldn't have taken the SAT in time.

5. Prospective majors?
Maths/Economics. I'm not really sure.

Additional comments:
I have like no extracurriculars. I don't really know what I should do, any ideas?
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
1. What colleges?
Columbia, NYU, Princeton, ... others but I haven't decided yet.

Planning on doing SAT. Done SAT II Math 2

Yes, FA.

4. Applying ED to any?
No as I wouldn't have taken the SAT in time.

5. Prospective majors?
Maths/Economics. I'm not really sure.

Additional comments:
I have like no extracurriculars. I don't really know what I should do, any ideas?

NYU doesn't really give out FA at ALL. They're known for being stingy af to everyone who applies for it.

Surely you've done something? You can't really do anything about having no extracurriculars this late in the game.. Expand on stuff you've done already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
NYU doesn't really give out FA at ALL. They're known for being stingy af to everyone who applies for it.

Surely you've done something? You can't really do anything about having no extracurriculars this late in the game.. Expand on stuff you've done already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've heard that, but I thought I don't really have anything to lose by applying (other than the application fee) as they don't ask for a supplement essay. And i have some ECs, but nothing amazing. Just typical ones like playing the flute, singing in choir. I do several maths clubs/societies at school which aren't part of A Level syllabus but I don't know if they count as 'extracurricular' as they are in school.
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

^ This

Also a lot of people forget to make it personal. As well as ECAs, you should be thinking about any traits that make you unique. And by this I don't mean "something you have that 30000 people don't" (cause I'd be very impressed if you had a characteristic like that). I mean what you feel defines you. Too many people try to impress. They're Ivy Admissions Officers. You can't really impress them lol unless you've done something extraordinary. So keep it down to earth and personal
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Yeah I've heard that, but I thought I don't really have anything to lose by applying (other than the application fee) as they don't ask for a supplement essay. And i have some ECs, but nothing amazing. Just typical ones like playing the flute, singing in choir. I do several maths clubs/societies at school which aren't part of A Level syllabus but I don't know if they count as 'extracurricular' as they are in school.

Lol, you do have ECs then. I'd maybe hone down on a list of 4-5 where you've had the most impact or which you feel are the most important to you.

As Student403 says, hone your essays to fit you as an individual. You've got to get your personality and what makes you tick across to the adcoms reading your application. Try as much as you can to develop your own personal 'story' of your life so far and what your hopes are for the future.

I'd honestly not bother applying to NYU if you need financial aid, there are many more schools that will be much more generous than them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sparadrap2106
I'm not sure if anyone's made a thread yet but this is the time of year we're doing our SAT/ACT and getting stressed:colondollar:

I'm interested to see what everyone is going for this year!
+additional comments

1. What colleges? NYU BU Northeastern Tufts Brandeis

2. Are you doing any standardised testing? Taking the ACT in 2 weeks

3. Applying for FA/scholarships? No

4. Applying ED to any? Potentially BU but will decide after I visit soon

5. Prospective majors? Business/ Economics still unsure exactly

+additional comments

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending