The Student Room Group

What college to pick???

Okay - so I want to apply to Cambridge but not sure what college to apply for. Not so keen about an open application so trying to find out what would be the best college for me. I've heard Trinity is the "best" so that would be my first option. But I would like to know if there's a college better suited to me.

I want to study Physics, maybe until PhD level. I have a great interest in sport - my favourite sport being cricket and I would like to play cricket during my time at uni. I like going to the gym so the college would have to have good gym facilities. Apart from this, stuff like good internet and kitchen facilities is all I need. If someone can please help me and advise me on what to do, I would be very grateful.

Thanks 👍

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure why you think Trinity is the "best". It's not.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Not sure why you think Trinity is the "best". It's not.

Apparently it's the best. Its been consistently number 1 on the Tompkins Rankings.
Original post by _Avi
Apparently it's the best. Its been consistently number 1 on the Tompkins Rankings.

The Tompkins table only measures academic success, and can't account for things like Trinity attracting a higher proportion of people likely to get firsts. Would you prefer to go to a big college or a smaller one, an old one or a new one, and a central one or a further out one? Also, are you aware that Cambridge doesn't actually have a physics course (instead you do Natural Sciences, which is broader).
Reply 4
Original post by sweeneyrod
The Tompkins table only measures academic success, and can't account for things like Trinity attracting a higher proportion of people likely to get firsts. Would you prefer to go to a big college or a smaller one, an old one or a new one, and a central one or a further out one? Also, are you aware that Cambridge doesn't actually have a physics course (instead you do Natural Sciences, which is broader).

Yes I am aware of the Natural Sciences course, thank you. I would like to go to a college that's close to the city centre and preferably modern.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Avi
Yes I am aware of the Natural Sciences course, thank you. I would like to go to a college that's close to the city centre and preferably modern.

Those two demands are somewhat contradictory, because central colleges tend to be older. I would start by making a list of all the colleges, then gradually reduce it by removing ones you like less (because they are too far away, or only take mature applicants etc.) I'd also advise you to visit Cambridge, if possible, and take a look in person at colleges you are interested in.
Reply 6
Original post by _Avi

The Tompkins table only measures academic success, and can't account for things like Trinity attracting a higher proportion of people likely to get firsts.

Especially Maths in Trinity's case, which skews the table somewhat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by _Avi

Most central colleges have both old and new parts.

And almost ALL colleges are relatively close to the centre anyway. A 30 mins walk covers most of them.

If distance is a critical aspect, then most people want to be closer to their dept than the "city centre" anyway. But beware that not all courses have all lectures, etc at their dept, so some walking/cycling is inevitable. But as I said Cambridge is quite small compared to many university locations so everything is fairly easy to get to.

Edit: anyway, have a look at Churchill. Cricket pitch on-site, "modern", etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Avi
Okay - so I want to apply to Cambridge but not sure what college to apply for. Not so keen about an open application so trying to find out what would be the best college for me. I've heard Trinity is the "best" so that would be my first option. But I would like to know if there's a college better suited to me.

I want to study Physics, maybe until PhD level. I have a great interest in sport - my favourite sport being cricket and I would like to play cricket during my time at uni. I like going to the gym so the college would have to have good gym facilities. Apart from this, stuff like good internet and kitchen facilities is all I need. If someone can please help me and advise me on what to do, I would be very grateful.

Thanks 👍

I would question whether Cambridge is the best place for Physics these days - where else have you looked at?

For cricket/good sports facilities there are also better options.
Original post by Muttley79
I would question whether Cambridge is the best place for Physics these days - where else have you looked at?

For cricket/good sports facilities there are also better options.

Where would you suggest is better?
Churchill bruh :biggrin:
Where would you suggest is better?

I don't know you so can't advise but our [I'm a teacher] best students in Physics are not looking at Cambridge these days.
I don't know you so can't advise but our [I'm a teacher] best students in Physics are not looking at Cambridge these days.

Where are they looking? Not saying you're wrong, just curious. I'd say that Cambridge still has a (small) edge on Oxford in the sciences (especially physics), a definite edge on Imperial, and I can't think of any other UK universities that come close. Unless top physics students nowadays prefer the more specific course of Oxford (although that doesn't necessarily mean Cambridge's physics teaching is inferior).
Reply 13

Where are they looking? Not saying you're wrong, just curious. I'd say that Cambridge still has a (small) edge on Oxford in the sciences (especially physics), a definite edge on Imperial, and I can't think of any other UK universities that come close.

The Brian Cox effect...
Original post by jneill
The Brian Cox effect...

Good point, Manchester does have a history of brilliant physicists (and I do know someone with the grades for Cambridge who picked them instead). I still think Cambridge is better though!
Good point, Manchester does have a history of brilliant physicists (and I do know someone with the grades for Cambridge who picked them instead). I still think Cambridge is better though!

It really is not that. Not as much as some seem to think, anyway....
I'm not a teacher but I've noticed many choose other top RG unis over Cambridge or Oxford because of their approach and style of the courses. They seeem to think that of Cambridge is a bit too academic and old-fashioned/restrictive.
Perhaps it'd depend on what you want from 3/4 yrs of undergrad course if you like cambridge's course or not.
Reply 16

Original post by vincrows
It really is not that. Not as much as some seem to think, anyway....
I'm not a teacher but I've noticed many choose other top RG unis over Cambridge or Oxford because of their approach and style of the courses. They seeem to think that of Cambridge is a bit too academic and old-fashioned/restrictive.
Perhaps it'd depend on what you want from 3/4 yrs of undergrad course if you like cambridge's course or not.

It's an effect for sure.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/the-brian-cox-effect-boosts-manchester-universitys-1210249

http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/5475

And wider than just Manchester
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/newcastle-university-relaunches-physics-degree-as-student-demand-increases/2015159.article

http://www.physics.manchester.ac.uk/our-research/research-impact/brian-cox-effect/

But yes other universities have always had a good share of excellent candidates in preference to Oxbridge. Never mind Physics, I know that's often the case with Medicine and Engineering, and I'm sure many others too. My niece didn't fancy Cambridge (law) so went to Leicester instead and has done v well.

We all know there's plenty of good things going on (academically and otherwise) outside the Oxbridge bubble...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
It's an effect for sure.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/the-brian-cox-effect-boosts-manchester-universitys-1210249

But yes other universities have always had a good share of excellent candidates in preference to Oxbridge. Never mind Physics, I know that's often the case with Medicine and Engineering, and I'm sure many others too.

Funnily enough, I heard somewhere that Brian Cox's lectures weren't particularly good!

Yes, many excellent candidates choose other universities over Oxbridge (especially for medicine, where there isn't much of a difference), but I expect most of them do so because they prefer the location, perceived atmosphere, or course structure elsewhere, rather than because they think the teaching is better.
Reply 18
Funnily enough, I heard somewhere that Brian Cox's lectures weren't particularly good!

Yes, many excellent candidates choose other universities over Oxbridge (especially for medicine, where there isn't much of a difference), but I expect most of them do so because they prefer the location, perceived atmosphere, or course structure elsewhere, rather than because they think the teaching is better.

Yes, I imagine billions and billions could get quite tiresome...

Although not all Cambridge teaching is excellent :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is not very popular among undergrads.
According to some physics student at Manchester I know, it sound like he regard having to teach undergraduates is nothing more than a chore and he doesn't hide his feeling.
Apparently there's a box called 'Brian Cox Box' and if you utter his name, you have to put £1 in the box as a penalty.

As for Cambridge vs other uni, none of the people I know who chose other uni over Cambridge did so because of the location. The reasons were purely for the course structure/coverage and the style of approach to the subject.
And yes, medicine and engineering are definitely other courses many people choose against Cambridge, and it's for similar reasons.
My niece is an engineer in the build environment and she read engineering at Cambridge (MEng and MPhil). She still goes back to Cambridge several times a year to give lectures/talks and help with their workshops/committee. And she thinks Cambridge is rubbish at inspiring it's students to become an engineer compared to other universities. (She's also involved in similar roles at a few other unis) she says it lacks a real connectability with what's happening in the frontier of industry and many academics don't seem to think that's a problem.

But that's the role of places like Oxbride have in the society, perhaps. They are the top ivory tower and would probably remain so for a long time, whether they admit they are or they want to be or not.

Quick Reply

Latest