Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recently I've turned 16 and I've realised that I don't view relationships in the same way as others- like literally all of my friends seem to talk about wanting to have sex/girls/boys/whatever while I'm really not that bothered by any of it and I don't really understand?
    Is this weird or is it normal for some not to have sexual attraction or what?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It's not that unusual and certainly not weird.

ReputationRep:
    It will save you a lot of grief. Mind you I imagine an interest in sex will rear its ugly head at some point.
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently I've turned 16 and I've realised that I don't view relationships in the same way as others- like literally all of my friends seem to talk about wanting to have sex/girls/boys/whatever while I'm really not that bothered by any of it and I don't really understand?
    Is this weird or is it normal for some not to have sexual attraction or what?
    There are definitely groups of people who don't have sexual attraction and it isn't in any way weird. However there are also people for whom sexual attraction doesn't develop until slightly later or not until they meet and start a relationship with someone that they care about. While I know that it is easier said than done try not to worry about it and give it time and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's great that you have no desire, well done x

ReputationRep:
    I'm 35 and I've never had any desire for a romantic relationship or had any sort of romantic feelings for anyone... although I've always been sexually attracted to women. Apparently I'm a 'sexual aromantic' according to the internet. People can also be asexual aromantic, or asexual romantics. Or people can even be sexual romantics but just enjoy too many things about being single to ever give up for a relationship. So many possible ways people can be, and every single one of them is just as normal and fine as being someone who wants a sexual romantic relationship.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.