Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm aiming for a job as a Petroleum Engineer.

I'm going to pursue MSc Petroleum Engineering

If my Bachelors is in a non-relevant field, is it OK to only include MSc in CV and not Bachelors? will Oil companies have a problem, or would they normally like to see Bachelors in a relevant field even if MSc is on there?

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PineappleThief)
    Hello,

I'm aiming for a job as a Petroleum Engineer.

I'm going to pursue MSc Petroleum Engineering

If my Bachelors is in a non-relevant field, is it OK to only include MSc in CV and not Bachelors? will Oil companies have a problem, or would they normally like to see Bachelors in a relevant field even if MSc is on there?

Thanks!
    Your CV will look pretty odd if you omit your bachelors; I don't see why you wouldn't include it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Smack!

How are you doing?

For example, if I have BSc Computer Science up there followed my MSc Petroleum, I'm not sure if it would look convincing to the oil industry? As my bachelors is largely irrelevant?

ReputationRep:
    Smack ^
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hey Smack!

How are you doing?

For example, if I have BSc Computer Science up there followed my MSc Petroleum, I'm not sure if it would look convincing to the oil industry? As my bachelors is largely irrelevant?
    What matters if whether your education is relevant to the position you have applied for, and there are many for which computer science would be highly relevant. Keeping in mind the current state of the industry, it's a good idea to have a degree which can keep open plenty of doors.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hey Smack!

How are you doing?

It's relevant, and necessary, to include it. Otherwise you would have an unexplained 3 year gap in your academic credentials.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. I was not aware Computer Science could be too relevant to Petroleum Engineering.

As a final question, is it also acceptable to put only "Bachelor of Science"?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thanks for your replies. I was not aware Computer Science could be too relevant to Petroleum Engineering.

Which will just lead to a potential employer asking you what your BSc is in...

Just put the full details on your CV in the first place. Degree, class, subject, where, when, key modules, final year project, etc.

It was 3 years of your life. It's important.

Otherwise it will just look like you are trying to hide something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hold on a sec. According to your earlier thread your BSc is in Engineering or is it Geology or is it CompSci...?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=61770203
    Science degree for Engineering?

Are you aka Studos...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

You're right in that computer science is not that relevant to petroleum engineering, but the post of mine you quoted mentioned the oil industry. Leaving a three year degree off your CV will just create questions, as will just "bachelor of science".

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies.

@jneill Those are my questions. If you look at Smack's wall I have even asked him questions about Civil Engineering. I have spent time deciding what I would like to major in. And due to the flexibility of my program at my Uni, I can easily change majors whilst transferring credits.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thanks for your replies.

@jneill Those are my questions. If you look at Smack's wall I have even asked him questions about Civil Engineering. I have spent time deciding what I would like to major in. And due to the flexibility of my program at my Uni, I can easily change majors whilst transferring credits.
    Your uni has an interesting system And it's therefore even more important to provide more details about your BSc on your CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.