Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sex before marriage is completely acceptable in my opinion, I don't see it as a problem.

I also believe the legal age of consent in this country is reasonable, but I am also aware it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will be ready for a sexual relationship upon turning sixteen.

ReputationRep:
    just 2 days ago, a drinking party was going on in my hometown. It was mainly made up of 17, 18 and 19 year olds. My friends little brother, and his little friend, about the age of 13, showed up to pick up somethin. One 17 year old girl, who went to church, wispered somethin in another girls ears, then she welcomed my friends little brothers friend upstairs and gave the little 13 year old a blow job.

Now, 13 is a bit young for a blow job, id say around 16 is acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    just 2 days ago, a drinking party was going on in my hometown. It was mainly made up of 17, 18 and 19 year olds. My friends little brother, and his little friend, about the age of 13, showed up to pick up somethin. One 17 year old girl, who went to church, wispered somethin in another girls ears, then she welcomed my friends little brothers friend upstairs and gave the little 13 year old a blow job.

Now, 13 is a bit young for a blow job, id say around 16 is acceptable.
    :eek: That girl must not be learning much in church. I am completely disgusted by that. It makes me think someone abused her when she was young or something. Am I alone? You don't seem very disturbed by that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    :eek: That girl must not be learning much in church. I am completely disgusted by that. It makes me think someone abused her when she was young or something. Am I alone? You don't seem very disturbed by that.
    that is sexual abuse straight up. disgust is an understatement Aris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seana)
    that is sexual abuse straight up. disgust is an understatement Aris
    Is it legally though???? She is, after all, only 17.

ReputationRep:
    I thought there was a law in England saying only males can get in trouble for underage sex, the female is considered faultless. Also I think 13 is a dividing line anyway between legal and illegal in terms of the "I thought they were older" excuse. Pathetic, but I think that's the way it is...

I vote we get rid of laws as we know them. The Mongols got on ok with their Yassa or whatever they called it which, I think, only had seven laws (eg don't kill other Mongols!)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    I thought there was a law in England saying only males can get in trouble for underage sex, the female is considered faultless. Also I think 13 is a dividing line anyway between legal and illegal in terms of the "I thought they were older" excuse. Pathetic, but I think that's the way it is...

I vote we get rid of laws as we know them. The Mongols got on ok with their Yassa or whatever they called it which, I think, only had seven laws (eg don't kill other Mongols!)...
    Only males? :eek: That's crazy. That can't be true can it? Older females can be just as much to blame as any male.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm very surpirsed that whatever I said in here was deemed ban worthy, ah well. Sorry if I offended anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    Is it legally though???? She is, after all, only 17.
    she has passed the age of consent...but i think in any case this one would slide tho

ReputationRep:
    Sex should be a private thing that the individual decides on. If they think that one night stands are a good thing then there is nothing wrong with them making that choice. However I think is it the job of parents and education in general to help people make informed choices so that they can not have any regrets after.

This means the sex education should secularised and preperablely be given by some one other than the usual teacher IMO. I think that in Britain the attitude towards sex is rather destructive generally. Proof for this is easily found in the large number of teenage pregancies. I believe that in the Scandanvian countries sex is alot less of a taboo and that has resulted in a much lower teenage Pregancy rate. In this country there seems a lot of mysticalism if that is the right word towards sex with it portrayed as a greater bigger deal than it actually is. Of course it is important however the number of threads present on this forum about sex shows that its very important in people's minds. If the attitude was one where people were clearly taught from a young age that it was just another phase in a relationship and too be patient, not to rush themselves and do it safely maybe we wouldnt have the same number of pregancies.

ReputationRep:
    originally posted by polthegael:I thought there was a law in England saying only males can get in trouble for underage sex, the female is considered faultless. Also I think 13 is a dividing line anyway between legal and illegal in terms of the "I thought they were older" excuse
    You are mainly right, I think if you have sex with a under12 you can't ahve a defence are something and with the case of a 17year old girl and 13year old boy I don't think it's illegal, certainly not if it wasn't intercourse, not in this country at least and yes the female is considered faultless.

ReputationRep:
    i think that people should not have sex before marriage. sex should be reserved as the ultimate expression of love between a man and woman. too many times, people think that they are ready when they're not or they're coerced to sex. it just leads to heartache. everytime that you have sex, you give someone a part of your soul that you never get back. as far as the notion of wanting to try out someone before marriage, it's unnecessary. great lovers are made, not born. if you have someone willing to listen and be patient, great sex is sure to follow. also, here is another possibility of premarital sex that is potentially devastating to marriage. Let's say I have sex with Tina and Tina just absolutely rocks my world. My eyes are rolled back into my head, etc. Now what if my future wife can't live up to that and everytime i have sex with her i think about tina. now, i'm frustrated that i keep thinking about her and feeling that my wife in inadequate. then, i feel guilty about feeling that she's inadequate. she picks up on my guilt (as all women do) and i'm sure as hell not going to tell her that someone else was the best ever. i don't talk about it, so she assumes that i'm having an affair since, what else would i not be able to talk about. she's pissed at me and we fight. she maybe decides to get even, and has an affair. our relationship completely disintegrates, resulting in divorce. all because of great sex that i had earlier. the moral of the story being, sex is powerful and we have to see beyond the instant physical gratification.
    as far as setting a legal age, that's a slippery slope. let's say it's 21. there are plenty of 21 yr olds that should not be drinking or having sex. what if some 14 is very mature, do we give them an excemption? how can we prove how mature someone is? i say, keep your pants on till you're wearing a ring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tobi_coker07_)
    Do you believe that people should not have sex before marriage?
    What age do you think is legal for someone to have sex?
    I think the age of consent is a bit too high. May be it should be lowered to 13 with some sort of law which prevents over 18's from having sex with under 16's. However I don't see a problem with too 14 year olds sleeping together. I think that people are ready at different times to have sex and as it is their body I think that when they are over 13 they shouldhave the right to choose what they do. I think that criminalising lets say a 16 year old for sleeping with a 15 year old is unfair. However any change in the law would have to be accompanied with an increase in education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think the age of consent is a bit too high. May be it should be lowered to 13 with some sort of law which prevents over 18's from having sex with under 16's. However I don't see a problem with too 14 year olds sleeping together. I think that people are ready at different times to have sex and as it is their body I think that when they are over 13 they shouldhave the right to choose what they do. I think that criminalising lets say a 16 year old for sleeping with a 15 year old is unfair. However any change in the law would have to be accompanied with an increase in education.
    I think personnally the law is fine as it is. We as a society do not want to encourage people to have sex early whether they are ready for it or not, to do such a thing would only encourage the number of teenage pregancies to increase which IMO is not good. Hence a hight legal age for sex is good for society.

The law at the moment also protects children from peodophiles, assessing whether or not the child was consenting is very difficult espically when alcohol is involded. The law at the moment protects them against this.

Lastly it is not like the police are jumping on 14 year couples who are both consenting and threaterning to send them to jail. The law is only used intermiterningly and is used for the above reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    I think personnally the law is fine as it is. We as a society do not want to encourage people to have sex early whether they are ready for it or not, to do such a thing would only encourage the number of teenage pregancies to increase which IMO is not good. Hence a hight legal age for sex is good for society.

The law at the moment also protects children from peodophiles, assessing whether or not the child was consenting is very difficult espically when alcohol is involded. The law at the moment protects them against this.

Lastly it is not like the police are jumping on 14 year couples who are both consenting and threaterning to send them to jail. The law is only used intermiterningly and is used for the above reasons.
    I watched a program a while ago on channel 4 which was talking about lowering the age of consent. They gave the age of consent and the level of teenage preganacies for many different countries and there really didn't seem to be a link between the too. I agree that with the sex education system as it is at the moment it would not be practical to lower the age of consent. However if there ever was a point where the sex education system was deemed good enough and the teenage pregnancy rate was low enough then I think that the age of consent could be lowered but only in the situation mentioned above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I watched a program a while ago on channel 4 which was talking about lowering the age of consent. They gave the age of consent and the level of teenage preganacies for many different countries and there really didn't seem to be a link between the too. I agree that with the sex education system as it is at the moment it would not be practical to lower the age of consent. However if there ever was a point where the sex education system was deemed good enough and the teenage pregnancy rate was low enough then I think that the age of consent could be lowered but only in the situation mentioned above.
    Yes I would agree with this, and I think I might of also seen that program. I believe that the age of consent is unrelated but in Britain at the moment if the age of constent was to be lowered I think it would make is seem ok for teens to have sex earlier. However I can see it is possible to have a low age of constent and a low rate of teenage pregancies. Quite so long it will take to get sex education right in this country though is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Quite so long it will take to get sex education right in this country though is another matter.
    Yeah that is unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    it's not easy to wait, granted, but i think that it's certainly the safest and most enjoyable institution to have sex. when your married there is both security and a strong emotional bond between the two, which i think is a pre-requisite for good sex. i would also add i am a christian, but one need not be religious to adopt this viewpoint - TO ME its common sense.

i refute any argument that couple can be "sexually incompatible" and discover this on their wedding night! what connection/spark/attraction would have brought them together in the first place?

finally, the explosion of stds and teenage pregnancies (which are higher in the uk than all other european countries), plus the fact that (statistically) 1 in 4 women has had an abortion, suggests to me that we should ditch our marriage-sceptic philospohies. :rolleyes: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AM1)
    it's not easy to wait, granted, but i think that it's certainly the safest and most enjoyable institution to have sex. when your married there is both security and a strong emotional bond between the two, which i think is a pre-requisite for good sex. i would also add i am a christian, but one need not be religious to adopt this viewpoint - TO ME its common sense.

i refute any argument that couple can be "sexually incompatible" and discover this on their wedding night! what connection/spark/attraction would have brought them together in the first place?

finally, the explosion of stds and teenage pregnancies (which are higher in the uk than all other european countries), plus the fact that (statistically) 1 in 4 women has had an abortion, suggests to me that we should ditch our marriage-sceptic philospohies. :rolleyes: :cool:
    However the fact that divorce rates are up and the number of people choosing to marry are down both go against your arguement. The christian ideal of marriage is no longer one holds the status quo in our society so prehaps this advice to wait until marriage is a little out of date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _tobi_coker07_)
    Do you believe that people should not have sex before marriage?
    What age do you think is legal for someone to have sex?
    Of course people should have sex before marriage... I'm a guy and so this isn't some feminist view-but when men used to be more dominant in society, the church etc. following society's male standpoint, invented this so that it kept women in check. Men were the breadwinners and didn't want to be making money for children that weren't theirs...so the rule was that sex before marriage was wrong...so that the grooms knew that their women hadn't been with another man, and the baby was theirs....

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.