Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry for all of the questions, I just need to know the course inside out

A lot of my friends are aspiring medics and have to do volunteering as well as work experience, so I was wondering if I have to also do both to get into dental school? Or is work experience enough?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im in year 12 and I am hoping to get into dental school. Most dental schools require at least two weeks of work experience, and dont really specify anything about volutneering. Then again, dentistry is super competitive, and you can almost guarantee that a large portion of applicants will probably do volunteering, so i would definately recomend it.

Basically, just try and do as much as possible. They want to know you have a passion for the subject and that you have demonstrated the skills necessary for dentistry (like patience, a caring empathetic attitude etc...)

Hope this helps

Also, hope you dont mind me asking, but how much work experience have you done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dakofsta)
    I'm sorry for all of the questions, I just need to know the course inside out

A lot of my friends are aspiring medics and have to do volunteering as well as work experience, so I was wondering if I have to also do both to get into dental school? Or is work experience enough?
    I've answered two of your other threads and this is the last one I will answer. I think you really need to start asking yourself some fundamental questions if these threads are serious.

1) Work experience - 2 weeks minimum GDP is generally sound for Dentistry, although a wide variety of it will help
    2) Volunteering - of course it helps your application, why wouldn't it? But please do it because you enjoy doing it, not to tick a checkbox
    3) Making yourself stand out - make it happen - be different - don't ASK what to do to make yourself stand out - can't you see the irony in what you're saying?

Overall, getting into dental school is incredibly competitive. Work experience is not an option, volunteering is not an option, they are absolutely necessary. There will always be an applicant with more work experience, volunteering, higher UKCAT, higher A2 predicted results, an extended project, etc. You need to start asking yourself if you are really interested in Dentistry. A lot of your threads revolve around seemingly obvious things which should be apparent after even the briefest research around uni dentistry course websites.

Just please stop with the "is dentistry any good anymore" - do it because you can see yourself loving the job (could you do a day of work experience every day for the next 40+ years?) not because of a perception that Dentistry is lucrative - it is NOT - it is a healthcare profession and money is not a priority. Stop with the "how to stand out" - people who stand out do not need to ASK how to stand out - they explore the options and take the opportunities that they search for. Stop with the "how to show my passion for Dentistry", it comes across so forced and artificial - if you're asking yourself that question then you seriously need to have a rethink as you have to answer that question for yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.