Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you take a GCSE early that you're definitely wishing to take at A-Level, would you also start your A-Level early? For example, if I did my Mathematics GCSE in Year 10, would I start my Mathematics A-Level in Year 11? If not, do you guys think it's worth taking a GCSE you're wishing to do at A-Level early (if you know you're going to do well)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrykel)
    If you take a GCSE early that you're definitely wishing to take at A-Level, would you also start your A-Level early? For example, if I did my Mathematics GCSE in Year 10, would I start my Mathematics A-Level in Year 11? If not, do you guys think it's worth taking a GCSE you're wishing to do at A-Level early (if you know you're going to do well)?
    Most people who take their Maths GCSE early do a AQA Further Maths level two GCSE thing or OCR Additional Maths FSMQ (I'm doing this) in year eleven, although I do know someone who's taking Maths A Level this year then Further Maths over the next two years
    He's been told not to because universities don't like it but idk how true that is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrykel)
    Im doing my Mathematics GCSE this year (Year 10- so scared), and I had a choice between Further maths GCSE or starting A level. I said I would start core 1 in year 11, because firstly I know universities don't generally look for further maths let alone a GCSE, and the jump between GCSE and A level won't be as big because I have already done some of the stuff in Year 11.
    But if you're good at the subject you can take the A level early ut it isn't compulsory

ReputationRep:
    I did my English Lit & Language in year 10. Over the next year I read all possible books for the A-level courses for Lit and learned most of the stuff for Language.

Uni's don't care, to be honest, because they don't actually know; on my CV it looks no different than any of my other GCSE grades. They're all in a list and there's no information supplied about when I did them.

It's good because it gives you a head start. The jump is, as you said, huge and high schools do not prep you enough for the difference in content and pace.

Saying that though, doing A-level stuff for a year in a class full of people doing GCSE English messed with my head a bit because if I got asked a question I would mix the books that I was doing and that their syllabus was, up. If you've got a good teacher who will support you equally to the class then it's good. It's a lot of work, especially extra curricular but it's worth it at A-level because you will already know the stuff.

Good luck in your maths exam, kiddo!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.