The Student Room Group

What can provide more UCAS points?

What can provide more UCAS points via distance learning that isn't either an A Level or the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design? Ideally it would be something to do with with the arts, but I am open to other subjects. Is there anything?
Reply 1
Unis usually don't give a f*ck about UCAS points tbh and if they do its usually from A level or BTEC qualifications.
Music exams give UCAS points, but very little and you have to be a very good musician to start benefiting.

EDIT: What I mean is, when they say "300 UCAS points needed" what they usually mean is 300 from A level/BTEC qualifications. It doesn't hurt to ask the universities themselves what other means of UCAS points contribute to the 300.
(edited 7 years ago)
Grade 5 and above in an instument, gives you a couple. Google it.
Ucas points are changing though so you should research it, as I may be wrong now.
Reply 3
Original post by And what
Unis usually don't give a f*ck about UCAS points tbh and if they do its usually from A level or BTEC qualifications.
Music exams give UCAS points, but very little and you have to be a very good musician to start benefiting.

EDIT: What I mean is, when they say "300 UCAS points needed" what they usually mean is 300 from A level/BTEC qualifications. It doesn't hurt to ask the universities themselves what other means of UCAS points contribute to the 300.

If universities don't care basically, then why do they say X amount of UCAS points for a degree course?
Reply 4
Original post by moon4
If universities don't care basically, then why do they say X amount of UCAS points for a degree course?

Because it is a direct conversion of grades into points. Lets say you take 5 AS levels and get 5 B's and then continue 2 of them on to A2 (unusual yes I know but its just to illustrate a point) and get a C and a B. You in effect have 330 UCAS points.

50 points B at AS
50 points B at AS
50 points B at AS
100 points B at A2
80 points C at A2

If you got 2 B's and 2 C's at AS kept a C at AS but then got 3 B's at A2:

40 points C at AS
100 points B at A2
100 points B at A2
100 points B at A2

This totals to 340 UCAS points.

The two situations are completely different grade wise, but both of them more or less have the same UCAS value. If the Uni just said the grade requirement was BBB at A2 which is equal to 300 UCAS points only the second scenario would let you meet the entrance requirements.

EDIT: UCAS points allow for more flexability in meeting the grade requirements as well as letting the AS levels actually count for something. Also you have people who take a BTEC diploma and one A level along side of that. It just makes it a hella lot easier for all the applicants who may find themselves in differing situations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
I guess the point I am trying to make is: don't rely on other sources of qualification other than Level 3 qualifications for UCAS points. There is absolutely no point in trying to learn grade 6 piano for an extra 60 UCAS points (or however much it is).
Original post by moon4
What can provide more UCAS points via distance learning that isn't either an A Level or the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design? Ideally it would be something to do with with the arts, but I am open to other subjects. Is there anything?

EPQ?!? More than 3 AS-levels which you can drop later at A2. That's all I know
Original post by moon4

You should ask the universities concerned what they would recommend to boost your application (or if there are situations where they'll offer/ accept someone with lower tariff points).

University admissions isn't a game where you rack up tariff points and automatically level up - you need the right qualifications for the course you're applying to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending