Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best savings account, decent interest rates? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have about 3000 pounds that I want to save but I need advice on where to begin with opening a savings account and with whom I should open with. I don't mind if it's one that doesn't allow me to access it/withdraw from for one year if the interest rates are better.

Any advice guys?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Captivated)
    I have about 3000 pounds that I want to save but I need advice on where to begin with opening a savings account and with whom I should open with. I don't mind if it's one that doesn't allow me to access it/withdraw from for one year if the interest rates are better.

Any advice guys?
    Savings accounts and good interest rates are an oxymoron in the current economic world.

Buy a copy of the Sunday Times and look at the money section for the best current rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Savings accounts and good interest rates are an oxymoron in the current economic world.

Buy a copy of the Sunday Times and look at the money section for the best current rates.
    Lol, I can imagine. I meant good interest rates relative to other accounts.

Thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Lol, I can imagine. I meant good interest rates relative to other accounts.

Thanks
    If you are happy to go with a smaller institution (peer to peer) then something like The London Capital and Finance plc are offering 6.5% for 2 years with an investment of £5000, no fees, no set up charges and no exit charges.

ReputationRep:

Any advice guys?
    https://www.bankaccountsavings.co.uk/calculator
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    get a value added current account instead or stick it in a fixed rate bond

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, you may be better looking at current accounts.
    I've found that they're offering better interest rates, especially for new customers.
    However, you need to look at their t&c's. I've done this and use it as a saving's account but I have to put £500 in there each month as a minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ButterFingers)
    To be honest, you may be better looking at current accounts.
    I've found that they're offering better interest rates, especially for new customers.
    However, you need to look at their t&c's. I've done this and use it as a saving's account but I have to put £500 in there each month as a minimum.
    Yeah, I've been told current accounts are a good option but I don't have an income I just have one lump sum so I don't think that would work thank you though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yeah, I've been told current accounts are a good option but I don't have an income I just have one lump sum so I don't think that would work thank you though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you can drip feed it into a current account by setting up a savings account at the same time and then transfering it over on a monthly basis, works for me

ReputationRep:
    If you have two accounts, you can transfer back and forth between the two to meet the £500/month transfer requirement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.