Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One of my biggest issues is that my handwriting is unreadable, but personally I think its because of my long fingers and weak wrists. Every mock exam/class exam that I have sat, I've been scolded for my bad handwriting and its not something I can improve on. I am told by my teachers that my scruffy handwriting makes it look like I lack intelligence and I've lost so many marks because my teachers cant read my writing. It takes me so much longer in an exam to write a sentence because I find it difficult to make it look readable, I am always scribbling out my words and rewriting it, which is annoying in exams like R.S where I need all the time I can get.

Do you guys think its too late for me to request one of those exam laptops? Personally I feel like I sound more sophisticated when I type out my exam questions, I am a fast type and also you cant see the mess when I scribble out my words due to the power of the backspace button!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asma-A)
    One of my biggest issues is that my handwriting is unreadable, but personally I think its because of my long fingers and weak wrists. Every mock exam/class exam that I have sat, I've been scolded for my bad handwriting and its not something I can improve on. I am told by my teachers that my scruffy handwriting makes it look like I lack intelligence and I've lost so many marks because my teachers cant read my writing. It takes me so much longer in an exam to write a sentence because I find it difficult to make it look readable, I am always scribbling out my words and rewriting it, which is annoying in exams like R.S where I need all the time I can get.

Do you guys think its too late for me to request one of those exam laptops? Personally I feel like I sound more sophisticated when I type out my exam questions, I am a fast type and also you cant see the mess when I scribble out my words due to the power of the backspace button!
    I would perhaps ask your exams officer if you can use a laptop / scribe, and sometimes they can use a transcript (a teacher copies what you have written so that it is easier)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asma-A)

My handwriting is terrible, and while I had to write my GCSE exams, one of my AS level teachers referred me to the exams officer and I now type my all my exams on a computer - I don't have a medical condition or anything, so I definitely recommend asking your school about it, as they may well let you type.

However, it's probably too late for this exam season. The exam boards have to be informed about the special requirements; your school will have already timetabled exams, rooms and seating plans; if some students don't already type, they'd have to figure out how to meet the specific requirements regarding computers set out by the exam board. It's not something that can be organised now, as exams are about to start. So ask about it, but be aware that you'll most likely have to write your GCSE exams, and any change would only be for AS/A level.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    one of the guy in my english class apparently has illegible handwriting too and my teacher sorted it out for him, so now he gets to type on laptop for his exams this summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    one of the guy in my english class apparently has illegible handwriting too and my teacher sorted it out for him, so now he gets to type on laptop for his exams this summer
    Does he get extra time?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Does he get extra time?
    i havent heard anything about extra time so i dont know :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    My handwriting is terrible, and while I had to write my GCSE exams, one of my AS level teachers referred me to the exams officer and I now type my all my exams on a computer - I don't have a medical condition or anything, so I definitely recommend asking your school about it, as they may well let you type.

However, it's probably too late for this exam season. The exam boards have to be informed about the special requirements; your school will have already timetabled exams, rooms and seating plans; if some students don't already type, they'd have to figure out how to meet the specific requirements regarding computers set out by the exam board. It's not something that can be organised now, as exams are about to start. So ask about it, but be aware that you'll most likely have to write your GCSE exams, and any change would only be for AS/A level.
    I might just ask for a dyslexia test, I did an online one and found it way too relatable.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine has autism and so in parts his handwriting can become wholly illegible and my college has given him a fully exam safe laptop to use in the exams. Maybe inquire?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.