The Student Room Group

Exercises for the midriff [female]

So basically I would like to reduce the fat around the classic women's problem areas - bum legs and tummy. Most of the issue is on my lower back I think.

What exercises are best to tackle it?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
You can't spot reduce fat, you can only lose fat all over by eating in a caloric deficit. This means you'll lose fat from everywhere if you are to lose weight, you can't focus on a specific area. The only way you would be able to lose weight from a certain area is if you have a genetic predisposition to store/lose fat from there, or if you recently put on weight in that area.

I.e. if you put on weight recently and it went to your stomach, you'll lose that first. Moreover, you will probably find you'll lose weight quicker in one area, for many people they find the stomach is the last place they'll lose weight.

If you want any tips, help or info feel free to drop me a PM :smile:
Original post by .JC.
You can't spot reduce fat, you can only lose fat all over by eating in a caloric deficit. This means you'll lose fat from everywhere if you are to lose weight, you can't focus on a specific area. The only way you would be able to lose weight from a certain area is if you have a genetic predisposition to store/lose fat from there, or if you recently put on weight in that area.

I.e. if you put on weight recently and it went to your stomach, you'll lose that first. Moreover, you will probably find you'll lose weight quicker in one area, for many people they find the stomach is the last place they'll lose weight.

If you want any tips, help or info feel free to drop me a PM :smile:

I've noticed recently that my lower back seems to have gained more weight... So there aren't any exercises to tone up (and lose fat) from certain areas? Like people who do abs work for tummies for example...
Reply 3
Original post by *Interrobang*
I've noticed recently that my lower back seems to have gained more weight... So there aren't any exercises to tone up (and lose fat) from certain areas? Like people who do abs work for tummies for example...

If that's the case, then its likely that you'll lose the weight from there first (mostly) though it will go from all over.

The concept of 'toning' is a myth. The only way to look more 'toned' is to either gain more muscle, or lose fat. Since I'd imagine that you've not really tried to gain much muscle before (I might be wrong?) then you should find it quite easy to lose weight, by eating in a caloric deficit, whilst doing exercises to build muscle and thus help to achieve a 'toned' look.

If you want to improve your lower back, I'd try exercises like deadlifts, hyperextensions and good mornings. You'll need some gym equipment for each of these though.

In order to build up your abs, there are a variety of exercises you can complete. I'd stay away from crunches, they're quite poor IMO. They focus on your upper 4 abs and neglect the lower 2, which means you may end up with a tight and toned upper stomach but a belly pooch at the bottom. Focus on planks and sit ups to begin with, and the move on to more complex movements like decline sit ups, dragon flags, and hanging/elevated leg/knee raises, if you have the equipment to do so.

I'd download some ab workout apps (Adrian Jame's 6 pack abs workout is great, though don't be put off that it's aimed at men). The circuits on there will help you to get a great ab workout in whilst burning a fair amount of calories.

Remember, if you're trying to lose weight you need to be eating in a caloric deficit.
Agreed with everything JC has said other than the ab circuits - go for a walk/ run/ cycle/ swim/learn to lift instead
Original post by Angry cucumber
Agreed with everything JC has said other than the ab circuits - go for a walk/ run/ cycle/ swim/learn to lift instead

OK thanks both of you :smile: I already do spin class once a week and aqua aerobics once a week (after a swim). Will try and go for walks more now the weather is nice too :smile: Unfortunately running has never agreed with me (even when I was really fit)

Quick Reply

Latest