If we could communicate with our pets like other humans, would we have pets? Watch

Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Do you think we'd own more pets or less? Do you think we'd view them differently?
Assuming they have the same intelligence ect, we'd just understand them like we do with other people
username2412509
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't. The fact my cat doesn't talk to me is perfect.

With pets you get company and the presence of another sentient being but they don't mind you being on your phone and ignoring them, they don't constantly make inane conversation, and they don't judge you for your napping and eating habits.
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Freudian Slit)

With pets you get company and the presence of another sentient being but they don't mind you being on your phone and ignoring them, they don't constantly make inane conversation, and they don't judge you for your napping and eating habits.
You didn't understand my OP. They wouldn't behave any differently, you'd just be able to understand them like you would with a human.
If your cat started judging you, it would've been doing so all along
ODES_PDES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Freudian Slit)

Same!
Implication
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
nah we'd realise what spoiled ***holes they really are

also lol:

EllaWelly
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm gonna get philosophical about this since we're on a philosophy thread.

By "communicate" with your pet, I assume you mean using language, and not just understanding certain gestures and action (because in that respect we can already "communicate".) If pets had the mental capacity for language, they would essentially have the intelligence and self-awareness that makes humans "human". So they wouldn't be pets. Because we wouldn't keep our intellectual and genetic equals as pets. That is called slavery.
AlphaSteel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zargabaath)
Do you think we'd own more pets or less? Do you think we'd view them differently?
Assuming they have the same intelligence ect, we'd just understand them like we do with other people
If our pets had the same intelligence as us they wouldn't be pets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Implication
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EllaWelly)
I'm gonna get philosophical about this since we're on a philosophy thread.

By "communicate" with your pet, I assume you mean using language, and not just understanding certain gestures and action (because in that respect we can already "communicate".) If pets had the mental capacity for language, they would essentially have the intelligence and self-awareness that makes humans "human". So they wouldn't be pets. Because we wouldn't keep our intellectual and genetic equals as pets. That is called slavery.
parrots use language :holmes:

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (25)
71.43%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
17.14%
Yes but I might change my mind (4)
11.43%

Watched Threads