Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If we could communicate with our pets like other humans, would we have pets? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we'd own more pets or less? Do you think we'd view them differently?
    Assuming they have the same intelligence ect, we'd just understand them like we do with other people

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't. The fact my cat doesn't talk to me is perfect.

With pets you get company and the presence of another sentient being but they don't mind you being on your phone and ignoring them, they don't constantly make inane conversation, and they don't judge you for your napping and eating habits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freudian Slit)

With pets you get company and the presence of another sentient being but they don't mind you being on your phone and ignoring them, they don't constantly make inane conversation, and they don't judge you for your napping and eating habits.
    You didn't understand my OP. They wouldn't behave any differently, you'd just be able to understand them like you would with a human.
    If your cat started judging you, it would've been doing so all along

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freudian Slit)

Same!

ReputationRep:
    nah we'd realise what spoiled ***holes they really are

also lol:

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna get philosophical about this since we're on a philosophy thread.

By "communicate" with your pet, I assume you mean using language, and not just understanding certain gestures and action (because in that respect we can already "communicate".) If pets had the mental capacity for language, they would essentially have the intelligence and self-awareness that makes humans "human". So they wouldn't be pets. Because we wouldn't keep our intellectual and genetic equals as pets. That is called slavery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Do you think we'd own more pets or less? Do you think we'd view them differently?
    Assuming they have the same intelligence ect, we'd just understand them like we do with other people
    If our pets had the same intelligence as us they wouldn't be pets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllaWelly)
    I'm gonna get philosophical about this since we're on a philosophy thread.

By "communicate" with your pet, I assume you mean using language, and not just understanding certain gestures and action (because in that respect we can already "communicate".) If pets had the mental capacity for language, they would essentially have the intelligence and self-awareness that makes humans "human". So they wouldn't be pets. Because we wouldn't keep our intellectual and genetic equals as pets. That is called slavery.
    parrots use language :holmes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.