Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So I have just finished my personal statement for year 2 entry. I would like to get it peer reviewed but no body (lecturers) at my current university are willing to help (I have asked -email- and get ignored). I don't want to post it online encase someone copies it or anything happens. I have a few friends that might be able to help but I would also like a professionals opinion.
    I was thinking about hiring a personal tutor or something...
    What do you guys think?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by OliverHartless)
    Hey,

So I have just finished my personal statement for year 2 entry. I would like to get it peer reviewed but no body (lecturers) at my current university are willing to help (I have asked -email- and get ignored). I don't want to post it online encase someone copies it or anything happens. I have a few friends that might be able to help but I would also like a professionals opinion.
    I was thinking about hiring a personal tutor or something...
    What do you guys think?
    You'd be better off getting someone else from your university to read it. Have you spoken to your careers service? often they'll be willing to help. Alternatively even a fellow student or someone from the year above (see if you can find out your course reps).

They don't need to edit it line by line - you're just looking for someone who doesn't know you very well to read it to check that they impression they are getting from it is what you are hoping to express.

Admissions staff use a PS to:
    a) check that you know what you're applying to (so in your case clarity about the course you're going into and any differences between what you are currently studying and the opportunities on the new course)
    b) check you have the motivation to complete the course (so in the case of a transfer something about the reasons for switching is appropriate but focus on the PULL factors of the new university and not the old one, PLUS genuine enjoyment and enthusiasm for your subject)
    c) check you have any skills of experience required for the course - generally for academic subjects this is based on your grades/marks so you don't need to cover this in a PS. I wouldn't expect you to need to go into this in any detail - the first 2 points are what you should be looking to convince your audience of.

If you give your PS to someone you trust and ask them to read it and then ask them if they think it covers those points then send it off ASAP

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.