Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It is part (c) which I am having an issue with - I would appreciate some help on this question!

Cheers
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    It is part (c) which I am having an issue with - I would appreciate some help on this question!

Cheers
    Sketch it, can you prove the sum of the squares of the two sides equals the square of the hypotenuse and that the two sides are both equal? It's just subtracting vectors and finding their moduli.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Sketch it, can you prove the sum of the squares of the two sides equals the square of the hypotenuse and that the two sides are both equal? It's just subtracting vectors and finding their moduli.
    Okay so here's where I got to and now I'm rather confused as to what I have done Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462718505.880672.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  190.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay so here's where I got to and now I'm rather confused as to what I have done

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You seem to be making the incorrect assumption that the hypotenuse is ZW. Instead, from the sketch, it is clear that OW is the hypotenuse with length 5\sqrt{2}, the line segment OZ is the base with length 5 and the line segment \vec{ZW} = \vec{OW} - \vec{OZ} = -4 +3i is the height with length 5.

Since 5^2 + 5^2 = (5\sqrt{2})^2 - this means it is a right-angled triangle; and it is also isosceles since both OZ and ZW has length 5.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be making the incorrect assumption that the hypotenuse is ZW. Instead, from the sketch, it is clear that OW is the hypotenuse with length 5\sqrt{2}, the line segment OZ is the base with length 5 and the line segment \vec{ZW} = \vec{OW} - \vec{OZ} = -4 +3i is the height with length 5.

Since 5^2 + 5^2 = (5\sqrt{2})^2 - this means it is a right-angled triangle; and it is also isosceles since both OZ and ZW has length 5.
    Aha! That would be why I got two different values for ZW^2 then!

Thank you Zain!

ReputationRep:

Sorry, also could you check if my methodology for this question is fine please?!

https://gyazo.com/ed6293f33646db6e102b27fdaba68348

will post a picture of my workings, one second!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462720174.272412.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  146.1 KB

Also in your opinion is my work messy? I always get slated for being un neat and messy, one of my teachers also once doubted the legibility of it once but I think it's okay?? cheers mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also in your opinion is my work messy? I always get slated for being un neat and messy, one of my teachers also once doubted the legibility of it once but I think it's okay?? cheers mate
    It's fine and it's more than legible.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462720174.272412.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  146.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very clear working. I wish all my students' working was as legible as yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Very clear working. I wish all my students' working was as legible as yours.
    Why thank you! It's annoying because my workings out is constantly slated for being too messy/un-neat? I don't really understand teachers sometimes haha.. any way thank you

ReputationRep:
    Why thank you! It's annoying because my workings out is constantly slated for being too messy/un-neat?
    Your teachers would hate me. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Your teachers would hate me. :lol:
    Any examples of your working out? Curious to see.. :P

ReputationRep:
    Any examples of your working out? Curious to see.. :P
    This is a fairly old-ish example: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014705

ReputationRep:
    This is a fairly old-ish example: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014705
    Huh what?? That's neater than my working out!! Haha!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.