Perfection Ace
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can someone explain what statins are? Can you clarify everything I need to know about them for the exam please. I'm on AQA! Thanks!
DesyD
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Statins are realli helpful for those who have high cholesterol genetically since is not because of their diet
You also must know the advanatges of statins and disadvantes compared to cholesterol blockers
CinnamonRoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hiya,

Statins basically reduce cholesterol. They're drugs that are able to reduce the amount of 'bad' cholesterol present in the bloodstream which slows down the rate of fatty deposits forming.
Advantages: Can reduce the risk of strokes, coronary heart disease & heart attacks. They can also increase the amount of a beneficial type of cholesterol in your bloodstream.
Disadvantages: Long-term drug which must be taken regularly. Can also have negative side-effects like headaches and even serious like memory loss or liver damage.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise