i have E_{k\ max}= hf- \phi

and that's it i have no idea what to do from there

i also know that  \dfrac{1}{2} \phi=f

ReputationRep:
    help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    help?
    Start by calculating the work function, and see if you can go from there (or there is a shortcut because of the values they have used)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Start by calculating the work function, and see if you can go from there (or there is a shortcut because of the values they have used)
    so i did this

E_{k\ max}= hf- \phi

E_{k\ max}= \left( 6.63 \times 10^{-19} \times 5.6 \times 10^{14}\right) - \left( \dfrac{5.6 \times 10^{14}}{2}\right)

ReputationRep:
    so i did this

E_{k\ max}= hf- \phi

E_{k\ max}= \left( 6.63 \times 10^{-19} \times 5.6 \times 10^{14}\right) - \left( \dfrac{5.6 \times 10^{14}}{2}\right)
    Think about how the work function relates to the threshold frequency

ReputationRep:
    Think about how the work function relates to the threshold frequency
    work function is half the value of frequency isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    no. E=hf

ReputationRep:
    no. E=hf
    but it asks for max kinetic energy....

and E=hf doesn't have  \phi in it :/

ReputationRep:
    but it asks for max kinetic energy....and E=hf doesn't have  \phi in it :/
    Work function relates to the threshold frequency by
    E (work function) = h (planck's constant) * f0 (Threshold Frequency)

ReputationRep:

Work function is the minimum amount of energy required to liberate a photon, and we know that the threshold frequency is the minimum frequency required to liberate a photon. Therefore thew ork function =h x threshold frequency

ReputationRep:

Ekmax = work function - hf (where f is threshold frequency)
    thus for this question:
    first calculate work function
    workfunction = hf (where f is threshold frequency of 5.6 * 10^14)
    thus workfunction is something you can calculate (my calculator is under my bed xD)
    therefore
    Ekmax = work function - (2*5.6 × 10^14) - since frequency is twice the threshold frequency

ReputationRep:

You're pretty much there
    E_k=hf-\phi
    You know 2f=f_0 right? so f=2 \times 5.6 \times 10^{14}
    E=hf is the best start, calculating the energy of the incoming photons.
    E=6.63 \times 10^{-34} \times 2 \times 5.6 \times 10^{14}
    \therefore E=7.426 \times 10^{-19} J. This is the total energy of the incoming photons yes?

Now not all this energy goes into the kinetic energy of the electron. Remember, some of it goes into liberating it. The energy needed for this is the work function energy.
    E=hf_0 for the energy needed at the work function, we know \phi = hf_0 where f_0 is the threshold frequency.
    \therefore \phi = 3.71\times 10^{-19}
    I think this is where you are confused. Work function of a metal is the energy required to liberate an electron. Not the threshold frequency, which is just the minimum frequency of an incoming photon to have the energy equal to the work function.

Back to the first equation:
    E_k=hf-\phi therefore
    E_k=7.426 \times 10^{-19} - 3.71 \times 10^{-19} = 3.72 \times 10^{-19}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Ekmax = work function - hf (where f is threshold frequency)
    thus for this question:
    first calculate work function
    workfunction = hf (where f is threshold frequency of 5.6 * 10^14)
    thus workfunction is something you can calculate (my calculator is under my bed xD)
    therefore
    Ekmax = work function - (2*5.6 × 10^14) - since frequency is twice the threshold frequency
    (Original post by The-Spartan)
    You're pretty much there
    E_k=hf-\phi
    \therefore E=7.426 \times 10^{-19} J. This is the total energy of the incoming photons yes?

Now not all this energy goes into the kinetic energy of the electron. Remember, some of it goes into liberating it. The energy needed for this is the work function energy.
    E=hf_0 for the energy needed at the work function, we know \phi = hf_0 where f_0 is the threshold frequency.
    I think this is where you are confused. Work function of a metal is the energy required to liberate an electron. Not the threshold frequency, which is just the minimum frequency of an incoming photon to have the energy equal to the work function.

E_k=hf-\phi therefore
    E_k=7.426 \times 10^{-19} - 3.71 \times 10^{-19} =<b> 3.72 \times 10^{-19}

On this particular question op you don't have to actually calculate the work function separately. Either way will work but algebraically if we know that f=2 f0 then we have Ek=2hf0 -hf0 =hf0, which is neater as it avoids any potential errors from rounding earlier on in the question (spartan's answer should really be 3.71, but by using rounded numbers earlier we end up with a slight rounding error, although you would still probably get the mark in the exam)

ReputationRep:
    [/b]

On this particular question op you don't have to actually calculate the work function separately. Either way will work but algebraically if we know that f=2 f0 then we have Ek=2hf0 -hf0 =hf0, which is neater as it avoids any potential errors from rounding earlier on in the question
    True, but this only works in specific questions. I find it nicer to run through the set algorithm for kinetic energy shortcuts loose me marks all the time

ReputationRep:
    True, but this only works in specific questions. I find it nicer to run through the set algorithm for kinetic energy shortcuts loose me marks all the time
    The only reason i mentioned it for this particular question, is that your answer will end up rounding slightly wrong (as yours did) if you compute it and don't keep everything in as exact form as possible

ReputationRep:
    Work function relates to the threshold frequency by
    E (work function) = h (planck's constant) * f0 (Threshold Frequency)
    Work function is the minimum amount of energy required to liberate a photon, and we know that the threshold frequency is the minimum frequency required to liberate a photon. Therefore thew ork function =h x threshold frequency
    i'm pretty sure E=hf
    is
    where
    E= energy of photon in joules <--- how does that become the work function?? i don't understand
    any formula working out and substitutions required pls i don't understand :/

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure E=hf
    is
    where
    E= energy of photon in joules <--- how does that become the work function?? i don't understand
    1)Energy is prportional to frequency
    2)The work function is the energy needed to liberate a photon
    3)If you shine a light of double threshold frequency, then half will be used to overcome the work function
    So the remaining energy is the kinetic energy, which is just hf/2 of the incident light.

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure E=hf
    is
    where
    Okay so basically... What is work function. What is threshold frequency
    Threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of light required for electrons to be emitted from the metal.
    Work function is the minimum amount of energy required for an electron to be emitted from the surface of a metal.
    So if you link the two... The threshold frequency provides the work function right?
    Thus the photon that is absorbed must have energy equal to the work function for the electron to be emitted. and we know work function and threshold frequency are linked
    So we can say that the energy of the photon must have a minimum energy = h * threshold frequency i.e. E = hf. And we know that the minimum energy is the work function so:
    work function = h*threshold frequency. This is a general rule. Learn this formula.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so basically... What is work function. What is threshold frequency
    Threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of light required for electrons to be emitted from the metal.
    Work function is the minimum amount of energy required for an electron to be emitted from the surface of a metal.
    So if you link the two... The threshold frequency provides the work function right?
    Thus the photon that is absorbed must have energy equal to the work function for the electron to be emitted. and we know work function and threshold frequency are linked
    So we can say that the energy of the photon must have a minimum energy = h * threshold frequency i.e. E = hf. And we know that the minimum energy is the work function so:
    work function = h*threshold frequency. This is a general rule. Learn this formula.
    oh i see that's a formula i didn't learn thanks....

ReputationRep:
    You're pretty much there
    E_k=hf-\phi

E_k=hf-\phi therefore
    E_k=7.426 \times 10^{-19} - 3.71 \times 10^{-19} = 3.72 \times 10^{-19}
    Thank you. i got it now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.