Turn on thread page Beta

ipodmini or other?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    for my birthday (30th Sep btw) i want an MP3 player, or some other gadgetty thing, and I was wondering should i go for an ipod mini (pink or blue )because they look cool and the ipod has rave reviews, or should i just go for another typre of MP3 player?

what do u think of ipods?
    are they worth their money?
    do they breaK??
    ne help appreciated

x c x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairestar87)
    for my birthday (30th Sep btw) i want an MP3 player, or some other gadgetty thing, and I was wondering should i go for an ipod mini (pink or blue )because they look cool and the ipod has rave reviews, or should i just go for another typre of MP3 player?

do they breaK??
    ne help appreciated

x c x
    whats more important

a) good sound, good format support, competitively priced, decent battery life?
    b) to look cool and show off to your mates

ReputationRep:

do they breaK??
    ne help appreciated

x c x
    Let ur cash amount decide!

ReputationRep:
    i would have to go with a) good sound format, battery life etc.

i'm not one for buying/doing something just cos it looks good or will make me the peoples definition of "cool" :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i would have to go with a) good sound format, battery life etc.

i'm not one for buying/doing something just cos it looks good or will make me the peoples definition of "cool" :cool:
    "...blue )because they look cool and the ipod..."

ReputationRep:

do they breaK??
    ne help appreciated

x c x
    iPod's are very good, the transfer rate (from pc to iPod) is extremly fast, they have very good battery life, they have an excellent interface, and they look cool.

However the most extreme downside you MUST you iTunes to transfer music to it. They are certainly worth the cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayban)
    However the most extreme downside you MUST you iTunes to transfer music to it. They are certainly worth the cash.
    http://www.ephpod.com/

ReputationRep:
    However the most extreme downside you MUST you iTunes to transfer music to it.
    my brother certainly doesn't

ReputationRep:
    i said that cos i think it looks cool not because i want ppl to think I'M cool.

ReputationRep:
    i said that cos i think it looks cool not because i want ppl to think I'M cool.

They are certainly worth the cash.
    LOL :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

do they breaK??
    ne help appreciated

x c x

go for an Ipod, cos they hold more memory than mp3. Go for a pink.
    Although they do scratch easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    go for an Ipod, cos they hold more memory than mp3. Go for a pink.
    Although they do scratch easily.
    They hold more memory than mp3? I'll mull that over for a while and get back to you on that one if it makes sense.

Please, don't buy an ipod. People who buy ipods tend to be the kind of people who'll buy a "high end" hi-fi from Argos, and think they've got a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    They hold more memory than mp3? I'll mull that over for a while and get back to you on that one if it makes sense.

Please, don't buy an ipod. People who buy ipods tend to be the kind of people who'll buy a "high end" hi-fi from Argos, and think they've got a good deal.

Sorry it should have been, they have a larger memory storage than mp3's. I bought a mp3 last year, it cost me £120, and it had 120mb storage. I could only fit about 60 songs. But I got an ipod, about a month ago and it has 4gb of memory space. Its good as you can search through the songs, and re write as well. The only problem was It scratches easily.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry it should have been, they have a larger memory storage than mp3's. I bought a mp3 last year, it cost me £120, and it had 120mb storage. I could only fit about 60 songs. But I got an ipod, about a month ago and it has 4gb of memory space. Its good as you can search through the songs, and re write as well. The only problem was It scratches easily.
    An ipod is just an mp3 player though, it just happens to have more memory than, oddly enough, other ones with less memory. There are other players with just as much or more memory than an ipod, and better quality (build and sound) too.

ReputationRep:
    wot other mp3 players are better then? cos i'll check them out too.

x c x

ReputationRep:
    IPods are very expensive for what they are, just a simple circuit, a cheap LCD display and a small hard drive. It should cost no more than £150 at the most for the 20gb model, Philips indeed do sell one at that price.

With the IPOD you're just paying for the marketing and the name, have they sorted out the battery problems of the IPOD yet?

I have a little PDA with an MP3 attachment on it, the whole thing has cost me £27 with 64MB storage all thats brand new, I will buy a 256mb card for £30 though.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't waste my money. Go for an I-River.

ReputationRep:
    A 128mb stroage one would cost about £40 now, things have moved on, the IPOD is just a marketing gimick.

I bet this is just as good quality as the IPOD, the salesman told me its 20gb model. I am not sure if that exact model though.

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index....l.php&p=301907

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I wouldn't waste my money. Go for an I-River.
    Yeah Richersounds have got them in for £250.

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index....l.php&p=301907

However I reckon you could haggle them down quite easily. My mate got a £250 top spec DVD player for £70 from them yesterday.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.