Turn on thread page Beta

ipodmini or other?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Yeah, but 320kbps mp3s are just a waste of space
    hehe i agree. all me files are 64kbps wmp files and they sound quality!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    If (and that if is increasingly becoming a "when" due to unforseen improvements in finances) I got an iPod, what would be the best earphones (must be earphones - dont want to be a neon light for muggers!) to buy for them? I've heard that the pair that come with the iPod are tripe, but pre-supplied ones nearly always are.
    the ipod earphones are alright, but i dont have anything to compare them with - could be that they are tripe compared to other better ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I've got the 40gb iriver, it's about 2mm deeper and exactly the same width and height as the 40gb ipod (yes the 40gb ipod is larger than the 20gb one ), and £100 cheaper. Also it records (line out, optical out, internal microphone, external microphone, to wav or to mp3), has an FM radio, and you just plug it in and it shows up as a USB hard disk, just drag and drop the songs on. Oh and the battery lasts twice as long as the iPod, from what I've heard.

I admit the iPod looks a lot prettier, but it is only fractionally smaller, far more expensive, and nowhere near as functional.
    Well said

ReputationRep:
    Which MP3 player has the best battery life?

ReputationRep:
    Which MP3 player has the best battery life?
    ipod has 8 hours.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to improve the sound quality of your portable then these headphones are one of the best in the ear type on the market:

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...Product_ID/265

They are not audiophile but I am sure they are capable of producing HIFI sound.

Or if you're very rich

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...roduct_ID/1782 (I will one day own a pair of these)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggin)
    ipod has 8 hours.
    iriver hd players do 16 hours (at 128kbps mp3, it varies depending on quality of mp3, and EQ settings and volume and stuff )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    iriver hd players do 16 hours (at 128kbps mp3, it varies depending on quality of mp3, and EQ settings and volume and stuff )
    How long to the IPODs batteries last per though in terms of the maximum amount of charges they can take? I heared that the batteries are soldered onto the motherboard and cannot be replaced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    How long to the IPODs batteries last per though in terms of the maximum amount of charges they can take? I heared that the batteries are soldered onto the motherboard and cannot be replaced.
    You can replace them but it's not cheap! The first generation died very quickly sometimes within a year, but I think they've fixed that problem. The 40gb iPod only uses a lithium ion though instead of the lithium polymer in the iRiver. I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    You can replace them but it's not cheap! The first generation died very quickly sometimes within a year, but I think they've fixed that problem. The 40gb iPod only uses a lithium ion though instead of the lithium polymer in the iRiver. I think
    Let me guess Apple have used patented instandard propriatary(sp) batteries you can only by Apple ones

ReputationRep:
    Get an iriver. The H120 is far better than the ipod - the battery lasts twice as long, it has a built in radio, supports OGG (doesn't bother me but I've heard it mentioned about the ipod), a built in voice recorder and real-time mp3 encoder (so you can record from "anything", not just from a PC), and can hold any file type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    They hold more memory than mp3? I'll mull that over for a while and get back to you on that one if it makes sense.

Please, don't buy an ipod. People who buy ipods tend to be the kind of people who'll buy a "high end" hi-fi from Argos, and think they've got a good deal.
    Dont generalise please, thanks. Comments like that make you sound arrogant, and the few people I know who have them, the other stuff they got are "Bose" hi-fi's, x box, decent home built pc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    Dont generalise please, thanks. Comments like that make you sound arrogant, and the few people I know who have them, the other stuff they got are "Bose" hi-fi's, x box, decent home built pc.
    Bose is a good example of the Argos style "highstreet high-end" I was referring to - popular, well known and expensive, but overpriced and not actually that good.

ReputationRep:
    My point was that it seems a large percentage of ipod owners are totally oblivous to the fact that other, and better, players exist. I've frequently heard people recommend ipods "if you can afford it" and accuse others of being jealous/bitter for not having one, giving the impression they think the ipod is the best and most expensive player you can buy, and something to be proud of, which it isn't, it's just a white plastic mp3 player with an apple on it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know what you mean

ReputationRep:
    Bose is a good example of the Argos style "highstreet high-end" I was referring to - popular, well known and expensive, but overpriced and not actually that good.
    I am amased Bose are legal the amount of false claims they make. Every single product I have heared from Bose have this nasty fake over forced bass and midrange. Their stuff isn't cheap either. Give me Marantz or NAD anyday.

ReputationRep:
    My point was that it seems a large percentage of ipod owners are totally oblivous to the fact that other, and better, players exist. I've frequently heard people recommend ipods "if you can afford it" and accuse others of being jealous/bitter for not having one, giving the impression they think the ipod is the best and most expensive player you can buy, and something to be proud of, which it isn't, it's just a white plastic mp3 player with an apple on it.
    I am a prospective (soon-to-be) iPod owner, and I havent owned one of those grotesque hi-fi's since I was 12. In fact, I own a hifi composed of an Arcam CD player, a Marantz hifi (soon to be replaced), a Sony MD deck, and a pair of very nice Mission speakers. And I'm still going for the iPod.

So that kinda pisses on your theory.

ReputationRep:
    I am a prospective (soon-to-be) iPod owner, and I havent owned one of those grotesque hi-fi's since I was 12. In fact, I own a hifi composed of an Arcam CD player, a Marantz hifi (soon to be replaced), a Sony MD deck, and a pair of very nice Mission speakers. And I'm still going for the iPod.

So that kinda pisses on your theory.
    I assume you have been to the Stockport branch of Richer Sounds then. I have a lot of Marantz stuff in mine, a Marantz CD600OSE LE CD player, and a Marantz PM601OOSE amp. I have a Project Debut II turntable connected to a very high quality 1980's Rotel pre amp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I assume you have been to the Stockport branch of Richer Sounds then. I have a lot of Marantz stuff in mine, a Marantz CD600OSE LE CD player, and a Marantz PM601OOSE amp. I have a Project Debut II turntable connected to a very high quality 1980's Rotel pre amp.
    I have been to the Stockport Richer Sounds (and the Superfi thats next door to it). That is where I got my first CD player (Sony CDP-XE530) and my current amp, which is the Marantz PM6010OSE you mentioned. They also sold me a very dodgy DVD player once, which had a dodgy sound. Some obnoxious know-it-all sales assistant tried to blame it on me and initially refused me a refund, but in the end I won. I've never been back since.

ReputationRep:
    I have been to the Stockport Richer Sounds (and the Superfi thats next door to it). That is where I got my first CD player (Sony CDP-XE530) and my current amp, which is the Marantz PM6010OSE you mentioned. They also sold me a very dodgy DVD player once, which had a dodgy sound. Some obnoxious know-it-all sales assistant tried to blame it on me and initially refused me a refund, but in the end I won. I've never been back since.
    You were probably very unlucky then, the salemen can be a bit arrogant there though but I have nevert taken stuff back. I seem to end up buying more stuff from Superfi, both the Stockport and Manchester one. I used to have a Sony CDP530 too, thats on my parents system now with a Marantz PM4000.

This is my system

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/hifiapril.jpg

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.