RS Utilitarinism strengths outweigh weaknesses

Watch this thread
Winterblogger
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi! Im currently doing my AS in rs which is in two weeks and thinking if theres a 9 marker on strengths/weakness of what I could talk about when referring to strengths outweighing weaknesses.

I already have one point to do with the NHS being utilitarianism to help the greater good but cant think of another point.
Also for the 9 marker how does it need to be structured( I always struggle with that and get like 4/9)
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Weaknesses:

How do you create a value for life? (if everything is a calculation then everything requires a score)
What if there was a utilitarian monster who got more happiness out of everything than humans did? Would we then succumb to all of us in misery for his greater happiness?
You could justify a lot of morally questionable things - abortion (mothers utility greater than foetus without utility), euthanasia (free up NHS from elderly people thus greater good) and then there's the tram experiment (google it, very interesting morally)
rhensis
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Winterblogger)
Hi! Im currently doing my AS in rs which is in two weeks and thinking if theres a 9 marker on strengths/weakness of what I could talk about when referring to strengths outweighing weaknesses.

I already have one point to do with the NHS being utilitarianism to help the greater good but cant think of another point.
Also for the 9 marker how does it need to be structured( I always struggle with that and get like 4/9)
9 markers (assuming you're doing edexcel): you need 3 balanced points, so it goes something like:
Para 1: for/against, sub-conclusion
Para 2: for/against, sub-conclusion
Para 3: for/against, sub-conclusion
Para 4: overall conclusion (evaluate the overall picture)

You can look at relativism, lack of intentions, the fact that some intuitively very morally questionable things can be done as a result of Util, but also the fact that it's modern (look at Singer), and at least Bentham's version is egalitarian. If you're happy tackling some more difficult concepts you could try looking up Moore's naturalistic fallacy, but I wouldn't worry too much about that yet. Try and use some scholarly views to back up your points, because that will help you hit 8 or even 9 marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (40)
26.32%
As I expected (49)
32.24%
Harder (56)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.61%

Watched Threads