How do plants absorb microbes that decay?

Watch
Perfection Ace
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I learn that microorganisms decompose and break down waste material and dead plant/animals. Then apparently, other plants absorb these microorganisms and this creates a cycle? How can plants absorb these microorganisms? Please help, thanks!
Federerr
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Perfection Ace)
So I learn that microorganisms decompose and break down waste material and dead plant/animals. Then apparently, other plants absorb these microorganisms and this creates a cycle? How can plants absorb these microorganisms? Please help, thanks!
I think you got the wrong end of the stick.

Microorganisms such as detritus feeders break down dead material and other waste such as faeces and they replenish these nutrients back in the the soils. Which other plants such as tree's take in from the same soils and use to grow leaves + other material. When the leaves on that tree falls and breaks down the same cycle happens. It pretty much on going and its all to do with the microorganisms. They are not taken in by other plants, they're simply the middle man which take nutrients from dead matter and replenish it back to living organisms.

BTW is this for geography?
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Soil bacteria like Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter take amine compounds from dead or excreted biological material and convert the amines and ammonia into nitrate, which plants can take up through their roots.

There also exist symbiotic bacteria like Rhizobium that live inside plant roots, converting atmospheric nitrogen into nitrogen-containing organic compounds that the plant can use; in return, the plant provides the bacteria with sugar. These may not be relevant to your question because they are not involved in decay.
Perfection Ace
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Federerr)
I think you got the wrong end of the stick.

Microorganisms such as detritus feeders break down dead material and other waste such as faeces and they replenish these nutrients back in the the soils. Which other plants such as tree's take in from the same soils and use to grow leaves + other material. When the leaves on that tree falls and breaks down the same cycle happens. It pretty much on going and its all to do with the microorganisms. They are not taken in by other plants, they're simply the middle man which take nutrients from dead matter and replenish it back to living organisms.

BTW is this for geography?
Thanks! Can you clarify what you mean by replenish? Like how do the bacteria put it back in the soil? Also, it's for biology!

(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Soil bacteria like Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter take amine compounds from dead or excreted biological material and convert the amines and ammonia into nitrate, which plants can take up through their roots.

There also exist symbiotic bacteria like Rhizobium that live inside plant roots, converting atmospheric nitrogen into nitrogen-containing organic compounds that the plant can use; in return, the plant provides the bacteria with sugar. These may not be relevant to your question because they are not involved in decay.
Daaaaamn, there's too many big words - didn't get any of that! O.O sorry!
Federerr
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks! Can you clarify what you mean by replenish? Like how do the bacteria put it back in the soil? Also, it's for biology!
You're welcome

and yes replenish means to put back into the soil
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Daaaaamn, there's too many big words - didn't get any of that! O.O sorry!
I started to write a post to clarify some of it but I realised I don't know which parts you didn't understand. I'm happy to field any questions you have or define any specific terms you're unsure about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads