Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know you shouldn't buy loads of books before you start uni as they'll probably be in the library.

But...

Are there any books out there that anyone would highly recommend that you buy regardless, such as Biology: A global approach by Campbell and Reece

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Glo.../dp/1292008652
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I wouldn't buy any books without first checking the course reading list. Why waste money on a book you're not even being asked to read? You can find reading lists on most department websites, usually they're attached to module descriptions. If you can't find a list, email the course tutor and ask for one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I wouldn't buy any books without first checking the course reading list. Why waste money on a book you're not even being asked to read? You can find reading lists on most department websites, usually they're attached to module descriptions. If you can't find a list, email the course tutor and ask for one.
    Have you studied biology or was it a similar science degree??
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chlpat1)
    Have you studied biology or was it a similar science degree??
    Nope, I don't study science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlpat1)
    Hi,

I know you shouldn't buy loads of books before you start uni as they'll probably be in the library.

But...

Are there any books out there that anyone would highly recommend that you buy regardless, such as Biology: A global approach by Campbell and Reece

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Glo.../dp/1292008652
    Just finished my first year of uni. I didn't buy any books lol but i think you may need to for biology
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Agree with Snufkin. You will typically only use books in your first year. After that you'll be expected to read research papers. The library usually has plenty of copies of reading list texts.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a textbook in the first year because we were told it was essential. I never opened it.

The majority of reading involves journal articles with the occasional dip into a book in the library. The one book I did buy and would recommend if it's an area that interests you is Molecular Biology of the Cell. Although the university library almost certainly has dozens of copies so no need to buy it.

If you are looking to buy a book and read it beforehand or during the first year of university, look into some of the popular science books. What they may lack in detail, they make up in being more engaging than a dry textbook. A couple of examples: Power, Sex and Suicide is a fantastic primer for anyone interested in cell/molecular biology. The Selfish Gene, although a little dated, is great for anyone interested in classical genetics and zoology.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.